Flying with pony bottles or spare air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a trip from Orange County Airport to Miami and back with my pony bottle in early May. I am a frequent flyer so I took the time to seek out the Orange County TSA Supervisor and questions her. She informed me that I could take the pony bottle with the valve removed and I had no problem at either airport. The bottle was in my checked baggage while the valve was in my carry-on.

I wish this issue was clearer in the regulations but I doubt there will be a clarification any time soon. Try calling the airport where you will be flying to and from and talking to the TSA supervisor before departing. Be sure to get their name so if the issue comes up at the airport you have someone to talk to.

Having worked for an airline pre 9-11 during 9-11 and post 9-11, I would recommend renting whatever tanks or pony bottles necessary once you get to your destination. I work for an airline and wouldn't go through the hastle of it. Tank rental is not very expensive and worth the peace of mind. If you have to fly to use it I would recommend selling it on ebay and using the proceeds to rent equipment at your destination. However, if you insist on taking your own here are a few tips. Every year, every Airline airport employee is required to take FAA Hazardous materials reccurent training. Having worked for a few airlines, I can tell you that not all airlines are always current with this training. I currently work for Southwest which is very good about it's training but because the training is so mindlessly boring and somewhat confusing being current does not mean an airline employee will give you the right response due to the nature of the manual they are trained from. Every Airline has a set of what materials are acceptable and unacceptable on it's aircraft such as how many matches or cans of hairspray can go in one bag. On the TSA website it states that compressed air cylinders are not permitted in carryon or checked luggage. When the TSA began hiring actual TSA agents, those with military experience were given first preference so most in managerial positions have a military background. This becomes important because most will go by the letter of the law and not attempt to use common sense.(i.e. remember when they were confiscating nail clippers and crochet needles from old ladies.) Once all of the compressed air is removed it is no longer a compressed air cylinder and becomes merely a cylinder and one could use it to store things such as jelly beans. I would not attempt to carry on a jelly bean holder and surely check it. (You can still check a gun on an airplane if it is unloaded and declared.) If you are going to attempt to do this knowledge is your best weapon. Most TSA agents have been doing this for less than 2 years and you could ask the same question of 100 TSA agents and get 100 different answers, trust me I work with them everyday. A good bit of advice is to ask for assistance from the airline. Each airline's hazmat and dangerous goods regulations should be available upon request and the wording is usally clearer than what the TSA has. It also gives you something in writing to plead your case should you need to. ALOT of airline employees are divers and if you plead your case to one you may be able to get some help and if you have the regulations in print they can use those to plead your case. Even before the TSA it was tough enough transporting tanks because of the various regulations and each persons memory of how those regulations applied to scuba tanks. Can you see why I just rent stuff when I need it? I just don't think it is worth the hassle.

Hi,

Just less than a year ago I flew from Los Angeles to Maui, and I took my SCUBA gear including my pony bottle... Expensive mistake.

I was traveling on a frequent flier ticket so my trip was free, I think it was Hawaiian Airlines, but I am not sure (I fly a lot, and frankly all of the airlines blurr together). I called and checked on the weight restrictions, and specifically about my pony bottle. I was told the maximum weight for carry on and checked baggage (I knew these already but I wanted to check for specifics) I was under the weight and bag count limits so I was fine there. I was also told that SCUBA gear was permitted and I would not have any trouble with the pony bottle. This was only partially correct, when I got to the airport the troubles began.

The TSA inspector did not have any trouble with the pony bottle... after the almost ten minutes it took to explain that with the valve removed I could not open the valve to demonstrate that the tank was empty. ( if this sounds stupid it is, but it really took almost ten minutes to get him to understand that if the valve was off of the tank it was imposible to demonstrate that the valve was open ) He said that the regulations required him to open the valve to ensure that the tank was empty!

Once this obstacle was cleared then I was my turn to deal with the airlines representative. She stated that while SCUBA gear was clearly permitted tanks incurred a special $50 fee, regardless of the size of the cylinder. After much discussion I was forced to pay the $50.

OK so now I am on Maui and I want to dive, so I take the tank to a local dive shop to get it filled. Since the valve had been removed I needed to get a new VIP, the old one was current, but once the tank goes empty a shop can require you to get a new VIP. So I am out another $10, plus money for the fill ( the cost of the fill was part of my known expenses so it was not a surprise ).

So it cost me $60 to get the pony to Maui and use it for diving.

When it came time to return home I decided to ship the pony and a few other things back to Los Angeles, about $30 but some of this was extra because I shipped more than just the pony.

the lesson that I learned was that bringing the pony on the plane is just not worth it $60 to get it there, all charges were last minute surprises, I was given the choice to either pay these charges or leave the pony in the trash at the airport. It took almost an hour either explaining or waiting for the right supervisor to get the entire thing resolved. It started what was planned to be, and in actuality was, a fun two weeks on a really sour note.

My advice in a nutshell... Don't take your pony on an airplane. I dont care if you check it or try to get it on in your backpack. It won't matter if it is filled with jelly beans or compressed air.

I fly on average once every week and a half and this was the most trouble I have had in the last two years.

Mark Vlahos

FWIW…Just got back from Grand Cayman. Flew Cayman Air from Ft. Laud, carrying two Spare-Airs’ in my checked bag. TSA scanned the bag on the way out, no problems. On the return flight, Cayman Air scanned the bag and security pulled me aside into a back room. They had me pull the Spare-Airs out, and explained it was no big deal, just had to make sure they were both “almost empty”. Could be I just got lucky.

KrisB:
If you also remove the firing pin, you're right. You do actually have a flower pot.

Or, alternatively, fill the barrel with brass. Then you have a flower pot

Errrm, actually, not under U.S. law. You can in fact separate every part from every other part, and the portion known as the "frame" or "receiver" is still a firearm.

--Laird, font of obscure legalistic trivia

lairdb:
Errrm, actually, not under U.S. law. You can in fact separate every part from every other part, and the portion known as the "frame" or "receiver" is still a firearm.

--Laird, font of obscure legalistic trivia
In Canada, either removal & surrender of the firing pin or filling the barrel with brass is sufficient for someone without their FAC (Firearms Acquisition Certificate) or PAL (Possession and Acquisition Licence) to posess a restricted firearm (handgun).

It also negates the storage requirements (locked in a cabinet, separate from the ammunition, blah blah blah).

Apparently, this renders the "weapon" a mere piece of metal, like a sculpture.

Someone recently suggested to me that while I vacation I should just rent another al80 and use it as a stage... Can you usually rent ponies while on vacation? I was just in Aruba and didn't see any of them at the Red Sail store...

Mark Vlahos:
Just less than a year ago I flew from Los Angeles to Maui, and I took my SCUBA gear including my pony bottle... Expensive mistake.

snip...

My advice in a nutshell... Don't take your pony on an airplane.
Mark: Sorry about your expenses and hassle. I flew a couple of weeks ago with my 13 cu ft pony, and will probably take it to Cancun with me next Fall.

A buddies OOA experience in Cozumel earlier this year is what prompted me to get a pony in the first place, and for sure I'm going to keep one with me on future dives. If I could find a dive shop that rents ponys, I might consider leaving mine at home. So far I haven't found places that rent them.

In my case I wasn't forced to VIP the pony on either end of my trip... it's probably not a bad idea though, particularly on the return trip. So far I've been lucky, and haven't had any extra expenses or hassles (I did completely remove the valve before flying, though). For me, the potential for having to spend an extra $60 to have my pony with me is worth the peace of mind.

Mark Vlahos:
I fly on average once every week and a half and this was the most trouble I have had in the last two years.
I fly fairly often (50-75K miles/year). It never fails that I usually have some sour experience on my Award trips. I don't know if I'm expecting more (or am more anxious) because my family is with me, or if they just treat you poorly because you're a freebie traveler.

Jerry

Getting ready to fly to Guam on Continental and plan to check a new 19cf pony. On the Conti site, it states that all scuba tanks will be assesed a $100 fee regardless of weight and other checked baggage. As the tank only cost $119, I am not happy about this. Any advice (jelllybeans notwithstanding) appreciated. Thanks.

Getting ready to fly to Guam on Continental and plan to check a new 19cf pony. On the Conti site, it states that all scuba tanks will be assesed a $100 fee regardless of weight and other checked baggage. As the tank only cost $119, I am not happy about this. Any advice (jelllybeans notwithstanding) appreciated. Thanks.
I'm still flying with my 13cf - just got back from Hawaii last month. I put it in my checked bagage with the valve stem removed, and I DON'T TELL THE AIRLINE that it's there. TSA specifically allows them now as long as they're not presurized. I can find you their webpage if you're interested.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom