Flying with pony bottles or spare air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still flying with my 13cf - just got back from Hawaii last month. I put it in my checked bagage with the valve stem removed, and I DON'T TELL THE AIRLINE that it's there. TSA specifically allows them now as long as they're not presurized. I can find you their webpage if you're interested.

Jerry

Roger that Jerry. I am aware they are allowed I just dont want to pay the $100 scuba tank fee. My suspicion is that even if TSA inspects my main dive bag and finds the tank (no valve, inside plastic bag) they wont say anything but the conti site is very clear about a flat $100 charge for bottles :(

Roger that Jerry. I am aware they are allowed I just dont want to pay the $100 scuba tank fee. My suspicion is that even if TSA inspects my main dive bag and finds the tank (no valve, inside plastic bag) they wont say anything but the conti site is very clear about a flat $100 charge for bottles :(
From UnitedAirlines website I see that United Airlines also charges $85-$125 for a tank. I've taken my pony (and all my SCUBA gear) three times domestically and twice to Mexico (since 2004) without being charged extra by United. Sounds like one of those things that if they find out they can charge you but if they don't know its there they won't. TSA apparently doesn't inform the airlines. My next trip is a Mexico trip in September... we'll see how my luck holds.

From TSA's website on SCUBA and tanks, they don't seem to care much. Interestingly United says you can have up to 40psi in your tanks, where-as TSA says the valve has to be completely removed.

Jerry

I suspect that unless you have a banned item, TSA has no interest in talking to your airline. Even then, they might just drop a SWAT team in on you... who knows.

As far as TSA is concerned, as long as the valve is removed it's nothing more than a heavy hunk of metal -- they have no reason to care. If the valve is on there, they have no way of checking the pressure and then becomes a rocket (ref: Mythbusters "Jaws Special" and other episodes).

I flew twice with a pony tank this last year-(valve off) I didn't look into any TSA regs but I did print several sheets of paper off with my full name, flight numbers and cell # and a message that read something like this...

Travel inspectors.. enclosed in this bag is scuba gear, there is no pressurized tanks or harmful equipment, however if you have any questions this is my schedule and phone # - please call.

My friend who I traveled with is an airline employee and he told me to do it, 8 flights with no problems.

Just a tip, might help.

the above is an excellent suggestion...

did the same with my gear last month to the Bahamas...

I also place labels with my my last name and final destination on ALL checked luggage in HUGE BLACK SHARPIE

it cuts down severely on lost/delayed luggage:wink:

I heard that several TSA agents have been confiscating "SpareAirs" packed in luggage. Seems they actually DO know something about scuba gear!

:D

I heard that several TSA agents have been confiscating "SpareAirs" packed in luggage. Seems they actually DO know something about scuba gear!

Unless it's disassembled, it's a pressurized cylinder (or at least a potentially pressurized cylinder) -- and I don't think anyone's accused TSA of not being able to recognize stuff like that.

Sunday I packed my 19cf pony sans valve and resigned myself to the $100 tank charge as listed on the Conti site for scuba gear however they didnt even ask to open my bag much less charge me :D

Unless it's disassembled, it's a pressurized cylinder (or at least a potentially pressurized cylinder) -- and I don't think anyone's accused TSA of not being able to recognize stuff like that.

I was more giving them credit for recognizing a SpareAir for what it is.

We just returned to Seattle from Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines, and I took a 19 cu ft pony. No charge.

As an experiment I carried on the tank with camera gear, dive computer, and regs on the way over. The TSA folks were actually very good: quick check of the tank and through screening. They said it was very good to disclose what I was carrying prior to going through screening.

The only checked bag that TSA opened and went through was the one containing the tank valve. It was placed horizontally, and I am sure it had an x-ray profile similar to a small pistol.

Checked everything on the way back, and placed the pony valve in a vertical position. No TSA inspection cards in any luggage.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom