Flying with your gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevsgarage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am preparing to take my first dive trip since 9-11 and I was wondering, with the new security if there has been any problems with bringing your dive gear. In the past I have always packed my gear in an old suit case with a suitable lock (No air tanks of course) and not tell anyone Whats in the bags. I have heard some airlines charge extra if they know your bringing Scuba gear, although I don't know why.

No problems flying with my gear to/from Key West and Nassau since 9/11.

I've also heard of airlines charging extra if they know it's dive gear, but I've never actually had the shake-down for the extra money. Maybe it's because I look so nice. :maniac:

Our own illustrious Iguana Don is in Cozumel this weekend and has promised me a full report of the imact of the new regulations that took effect on Friday.

I am hoping he will say it was not a big deal, but we will just have to wait and see.

I was in Hawaii in October and Belize in December. No problems with flying to either place. No sharps allowed in carry on. Expect a quizzical look at regulators in carry on luggage... but no problems. Also, remember new restriction -- one carry on plus one small personal item (purse , briefcase.)

I leave for Hawaii in less than two weeks!!! The 9/11 aftermath hasn't slowed down my travel!!

Liz

thanks for the input I'll be interested in hearing Iguana Don's report:confused:

Wish I was a testen some of them regulations right now, my own self...:fork:

I havent had any problems with business travel, although I sometimes have a small dell computer with me as carry on. (They asked me to turn it on last time:rofL: )
No power cord, no monitor, it was big laugh ----;-0 Except for the extra 15 minutes to get through.

Dave

If you put some of that "HOT AIR" into your BC you could get off the ground....................just kidding, you know I couldn't let that get past me.

Anyway, as for air travel with gear. Didn't notice any changes, most of them are behind the scenes, they X-ray your gear after check in. Unless the airport is small and can't afford X-ray (Cozumel International) , then they physically search all of it.

Got a really strange look and had to explain my new Halcyon Canister Light. Looks like a "device" if I ever saw one.

ID

The wife and I flew to Cozumel the weekend of 1/11/02. We checked all gear including regs and computers. I also had my dive knife attached to by BC. We experienced no problems. In Cozumel, upon boarding to return, I had to unlock our checked gear suitcase so they could look through it. There were no extra charges because it was scuba gear. Just keep your checked luggage within the size and weight requirements of the airline. I believe our gear suitcase weighed about 60 lbs and they didn't have any problems with it.

We flew Sacramento, CA to Miami, then Miami to St. Maarten and return flights, and checked our bags (both of us managed to pack our clothes in with our dive gear), both had our one personal bag and one carry on (mine had my photo & video gear & housing, my husband carried our regulators). I had gone to the airport before to make sure my carry on would fit in the new sizing holders they had ... yup. Although one did try to take it away, and then I looked pointedly at the person in front of me who had 4 carry ons and I pointed to that person, and the flight attendant shrugged and let me on.

We only had one airline, on a prior trip (Dec. 2000), charge us -- and that was our own fault as it weighed 92 pounds (of course, that was the trip that we both packed our gear in one bag). We then redistributed things and now all our bags are under the 70 lb limit that seems to be almost normal for most airlines now.

We also packed a large duffle, empty, in the dive bag to pack our clothes in should we do that last dive too late for our gear to dry and have some damp gear for the return trip home ... which we didn't need, but we packed it with dirty clothes. It was nice to have that extra bag so we didn't have to stuff things in the others.

Enjoy your travels.

Margaret

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom