Fogless Masks??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First the fog...
Assuming your usual anti fog was one that works no more the glass may be contaminated with something (sunscreen, suit snot, pond slime, who knows) Do the toothpaste or soft scrub cleaning and try again. Test it right at the sink. Chill the glass with cold tapwater and exhale a deep hot breath into the mask, it should not fog. Don't use any antifog for this test, just the dead clean mask.

If that dosen't work it may have minor surface scuffing as Damselfish mentioned, try glasswax or some very fine glass polishing compound to re-level the glass.

Now if it's leaking and you haven't messed with tension and all look for splits in the skirt or other damage includng stiffness. If you find any then forget the whole thing and treat yourself to a new mask.

Has wour weight changed? New regulator or mouthpiece? facelift? Just other potential causes.

Pete

reubenray:
Just returned from Akumal and had a lot of trouble with my 10 year old mask fogging up. Had 3 different types of defoggers, but it would only last a few minutes. Also had a lot of trouble with getting water in my mask. I bought this mask from a scuba store and it has worked great until now.

Are there any fogless snorkle masks? It also seems like the mask would seal great when I first start, but when I have to take it off to defog it starts to leak. Is it time to buy a new mask? I was constantly getting water running down my throat. I first thought it was my 3 year old Ocean Master snorkle, but now I am thinking water was getting in my mask. I then would inhale the water through my nose. My nose would then run (not drip) for an hour afterward.

We have a trip planned for Tahiti in November and do not want the same problems I had at Akumal.

Any suggestions are appreciated?

fishoutawater:
Here's just another option: When I was a kid freediving in Texas ponds, I realized that just about anything slimy would keep my lens fog free.
Snails. I'd find them in the weeds surrounding the lake. Just squish them and rub them around the inside of your mask. Works great.
Of course, snails aren't always available everywhere, but when they are, they're definately cheap.
As far as the commercial defoggers, I always found them to work best to let it dry on the lens first, Then just before the dive, a quick dunk in the water to make it clear.
IMO, snails work better though.

priceless information that I can only find on scubaboard.com... :)

Shaving is definitely a starting point, BUT for me it is enough to trim a space below the nose, not the whole mustache, and beard is as such no problem, just clean area below eyes. THEN, while many may disagree, apply a light coat of vaseline along the face where mask will fit. I have been dong this for 5-10 years with no signs of mask problems.
As for fogging, silicone or spit, and but a swish in water as I enter.

I get a nice tight fit when I first put my mask on, and then start getting water in it after snorkeling just a few yards. I believe this has to do with the snorkel jiggling (sorry for the hi-tech terminology :) )the mask's strap, allowing water to seep in at the sides. If it weren't for the valve on my mask it would be even more maddening.

I've been using a mask with a glass lense, and keeping it de-fogged with toothpaste. I hoard those little toothpaste tubes (about as wide as a fat vitamin pill and twice as long) that hotels sometimes give out and keep one in my pocket.
I'm not totally sure, but I think the stuff in the toothpaste and shampoo that keeps the fog down is the same stuff photo labs use for clearing film, called "wetting agent."

Fogless masks...hmmm...gimmicky perhaps. Maybe need a new mask...

Fog-Not is the best. It lasts for several rinses. Not in many stores, yet.
It's available at http://fog-not.com

Please try it! It's a completely different approach to the scuba mask fogging issue.

I also tried using my glasses (tri-focals) inside my mask! It worked ok, but the 3 fogged surfaces is what got me to invent Fog-Not!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom