For computer users only... safety stops.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
How many of you do a FULL FIVE MINUTE safety stop if you are diving a computer? Why or why not?

My computer (Suunto Cobra) sets a 3 minute stop at 15ft (must be between 20-10ft for timer to count down). I always follow the computer as a minimum, taking my time to surface slowly. I understand that it will not penalize for a missed optional safety stop but will lock out for a mandatory stop if I exceed NDL.

I try everytime and I always do 3: though no matter what.....even on 30's

I complete a stop (either hanging or coming into shallower water) every time. Three minutes on the cobra is a minimum, so I'll do longer if I when I have the air.

I personnaly like hanging on the line better than standing on a rocking boat, so I do a five minute stop. More is better in this case, whats a couple of minutes vs. the consequences.

Ditto on the 3, 'cept its not automatic AFAIK. I dive a Uwatec Smart Pro. I'll do this for pretty much every dive below 30 ft.

I'll do longer stops as per PADI tables if on deep dives (yes, I always carry backup).

Alex

My Cobra does the same thing... but I always stay at LEAST another couple of minutes and more if air and buddies allow.

The reason I ask this? I have always taught my OW divers to do at least 5 minutes when on a computer since they can really skirt close to their NDL.

I do five if my gas allows, but I always do the three minutes that my computer will count down, barring some sort of problem. I never exceed NDL nor do I come close based on the computer model.

In my training, a three minute stop was emphasized, not a five, and we were told that it was optional if you'd been shallow, but recommended. I do it anyway.

I use an Aladin Tec.

Same with my Cobra... 3 minutes, but I'll spend another couple minutes if time/air and buddy allow it.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom