For computer users only... safety stops.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do the 3 minutes with my cobra, unless, i have to do some celiengs then it will be longer than that.

I do minimum of 3 minutes to satisfy my Suunto, then let all others in the group currently on the line or hang bar board, and then ascend VERY slowly to the surface (appx 10' minute max). This likely gives me more than 5 minutes, but I've never timed it exactly.

60ft/min ascent to 90fsw ,30ft/min from 90fsw to surface ,1min stop at 1/2 max depth and 3 min or more at 20-15fsw

theatis:
I have a question for NetDoc (or anyone else) combining ideas from both of his two recent threads (this and the one on deeper stops). I wasn't taught to do deeper stops (basic PADI 3min@15') but read about them here and they make sense. So, if i start implementing them, do they somehow change the way the computer analyzes offgassing? I know that some computers like the newer Suunto Vytec DS can be programmed with deep stops in mind but other than that is it an issue?

Depends on the computer.

The SmarCom continuously models your gas absorbtion based on current conditons, so if you make a stop (deep, safety or otherwise), it effects the gas loading in it's model, and would change its parameters for the next dive.

Terry

theatis:
I have a question for NetDoc (or anyone else) combining ideas from both of his two recent threads (this and the one on deeper stops). I wasn't taught to do deeper stops (basic PADI 3min@15') but read about them here and they make sense. So, if i start implementing them, do they somehow change the way the computer analyzes offgassing? I know that some computers like the newer Suunto Vytec DS can be programmed with deep stops in mind but other than that is it an issue?
Sorry, I missed this earlier. They should, but only the manufacturer of the particular computer can answer that for you. Unfortunately, Suunto has yet to show up here on ScubaBoard so we can ask them. At least, they have not made their presense known to us yet.

Since I dive a Suunto Vyper I´ll post in this thread as well...this is what I do for NDL-dives only...

What I do:
-From 60ft-18ft: I make sure that my ascent rate stays below 18ft/minute

-From 18-9ft: I spend between 3-5 minutes, the classical "safetystop" (Number of minutes depending on the circumstances but 5 when conditions allow). It is not so much a stop as a slow, gradual ascent from 18-9ft, with the time distributed pretty evenly but with an emphasis on 12ft...

-From 9ft: I make sure I see every 0,1m/2"-increment on my computer from 9ft and up, it takes as long as it takes...(but I won´t descend if I miss a number and this too depends on the conditions for the dive)

Why I do it?
Because, after a full day of diving, I still feel refreshed and ready to party, instead of in danger of falling asleep on my feet.

ymmv...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom