For computer users only... safety stops.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
You must be diving at the edge of the computer NDL, no?

Decompression dives, but they are planned and include deep stops. The Suunto is more conservative than my deco planning software. Lately, I've switched it into gauge mode.

recreational dive 3 to 5 minute at 5m safety stop...

It's interesting that a lot of the divers here do more time than their computer recommends but there are threads complaining about diving conservative computers. I've been diving the most "conservative" computers, Suunto since I started.
Just an observation...
I dive a liberal comp, but work myself from yellow back to green with stops. Use a comp that doesn't penalize me, then add safety on the stops - not with shorter dives.

Cave Diver:
Several of you have mentioned "as long as air allows."

This is a little off topic from the original question but is it common that some of you are cutting your air so close that it's questionable whether you'll be able to spend an additional two minutes at 15'?
I didn't, as I will hang at 10-20 ft until my Oceanic dive comp is in the green. If I need to cut into my 500# reserve then that's what it's there for - in case i need it!!

theatis:
I have a question for NetDoc (or anyone else) combining ideas from both of his two recent threads (this and the one on deeper stops). I wasn't taught to do deeper stops (basic PADI 3min@15') but read about them here and they make sense. So, if i start implementing them, do they somehow change the way the computer analyzes offgassing? I know that some computers like the newer Suunto Vytec DS can be programmed with deep stops in mind but other than that is it an issue?
I know my Versa Pro gives credit for deep stops, as I've watched the Nitrogen loading back on on them. Haven't dived my VEO yet, but I'm sure it will.

I'm usually satisfied with a 30 ft stop, slow ascent, and 3 min stop at 15 ft. IF N load is fairly high, I increase the stop time. My computer (Oceanic data +) doesn't particularly care about rest stops and I like it that way. I've never had a dive where gas supply was an issue for a rest stop.

I dive a Genesis React Pro and it sets the SS at 20'. My stop procedure goes like this:

1. If the maximum depth is less than 60' and if I am in the Green on the React Pro, then I do 5 min @ 20'.

2. If the maximum depth is greater than 60, but less than 100, I do a 2 min stop at 60', a 2 min stop at 30' and the SS at 20'.

3. If I exceed the 100' depth, I hang a tank at 30' to be sure I can do - 3 min
@ 60, 3 min @ 30' and 5 min at 20'.

I also treat the Yellow Zone on the React Pro as if it is the NDL. The reason for the above approach is in part because I consider myself at higher risk for the bends due my age (54). (Also, because to me, I'm the most important person I know)

NetDoc:
I can set turn pressure and also the length of my safety stop.

Any way to do this on a Cobra?

Also, I just bought a safety sausage and a finger spool for various uses. I marked the line a 15' to use as a stop guide. What other lengths should I mark it at? I seem to be reading that 60', 30', 15', 10', and 5' are common stop numbers. Any suggestions?

I dive a curve with an equal amount of time above 33' as I had below 66'.

10' stops with the corresponding amount of time to my deep portion. Some might be consider it overkill, but I haven't gotten bent yet in all my dives.

With the profiles I dive I've always done a deep stop (as well as a gradual ascent) so I keep to the 3 minute stop.

I have my computer set to a more conservative setting than default and I think that once in 50 dives with it have I come to within single digits of the NDL. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom