For computer users only... safety stops.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting that a lot of the divers here do more time than their computer recommends but there are threads complaining about diving conservative computers. I've been diving the most "conservative" computers, Suunto since I started.
Just an observation...

Wijbrandus:
I do five if my gas allows, but I always do the three minutes that my computer will count down, barring some sort of problem. I never exceed NDL nor do I come close based on the computer model.

In my training, a three minute stop was emphasized, not a five, and we were told that it was optional if you'd been shallow, but recommended. I do it anyway.

I use an Aladin Tec.
Dave Zimmerly:
Same with my Cobra... 3 minutes, but I'll spend another couple minutes if time/air and buddy allow it.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

abitton:
Good point. I also agree that 3 is a minimum, and as redhawktwo mentioned, I dive to dive, not to hang around on a boat!

It's nice to just hang around, breathing, relaxing. As long as you have enough air!!

Several of you have mentioned "as long as air allows."

This is a little off topic from the original question but is it common that some of you are cutting your air so close that it's questionable whether you'll be able to spend an additional two minutes at 15'?

Usually my Cobra thinks I need more time than 5 minutes. :shakehead

Cave Diver:
This is a little off topic from the original question but is it common that some of you are cutting your air so close that it's questionable whether you'll be able to spend an additional two minutes at 15'?
I agree CD,

That's more than a tad disturbing. If you are cutting your safety stop due to your air supply, you need to rethink your diving habits. Gas management is CRITICAL if you are going to dive safely.

BTW, I just got a VT3... some things I like about it right away? I can set turn pressure and also the length of my safety stop.

Very good point CD, especially when even 300PSI will last you for... well a LONG time at 15'. And even if your buddy does not want to stay for 5, you can still do it and when you come up you will still be waiting for others to get on the boat.

It really all depends upon the situation.

I always do at least a 3 minute stop, but...

Let's say I am doing a multi-level dive, working my way up a reef. I may actually spend 15-20 minutes near the 20-15 foot level. Well, in that case, I am not going to pay a whole lot of attention to the safety stop time.

If I am diving with a DM led group--say in Cozumel--I do way more than 3 minutes. I always hang around--practicing buoyancy by trying to stay at a precise depth by breath alone--until I see the last member of the group about to get on the boat.

On other occasions I do something similar. I hang out at the safety stop area for as long as I can while I watch what else is happening. I have to make a decision about balancing my desire to extend my safety stop as long as possible and the fact that everyone else is on the boat and the timing of the next dive or the trip to shore is depending upon my decision to get out of the water.

my safety stop is 7 minutes, staggered from 30 feet to 10 feet, not counting a
deep stop

Cave Diver:
Several of you have mentioned "as long as air allows."

Yeah, "as long as air allows" should result in hangtimes of at least 10 minutes (300 psi in an Al80), or else you probably aren't coming back with enough air.

i.e.: if you leave 100 fsw with 1300 psi and you spend 2 minutes ascending to 30 fsw, you'll only burn around 200 psi tops getting there, so you should have at least 1000 psi left, which should be good for at least another 15 minute hang (and being back on the boat with 500 psi).

I have a question for NetDoc (or anyone else) combining ideas from both of his two recent threads (this and the one on deeper stops). I wasn't taught to do deeper stops (basic PADI 3min@15') but read about them here and they make sense. So, if i start implementing them, do they somehow change the way the computer analyzes offgassing? I know that some computers like the newer Suunto Vytec DS can be programmed with deep stops in mind but other than that is it an issue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom