• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

For divers with 19cf Pony Bottles, weight distribution and reduction

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by Remy B., Jun 10, 2015.

1. Searcaigh

Searcaigh Chromodoris gordonii Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I don't adjust the weight on my belt and sidesling my 30 cu ft pony / stage on my left

2. LeadTurn_SD

LeadTurn_SD Solo Diver

1+.

I rarely use a pony, but when I do I do not take any lead off my weight belt.

I'm as close as I can get to being correctly weighted... reducing my usual ballast weight to offset the negative buoyancy of a full pony, or any additional "strap on" gear like a camera, etc., could potentially leave me under-weighted if I had to hand off that gear, accidentally dropped it, used the air in the pony, etc., near the end of the dive. While I can normally offset a couple/few pounds of positive/negative buoyancy with breathing control, I would not want to have to manage being a few pounds too buoyant and any other problem or emergency.

This is just my take on things...

Best wishes.

AfterDark likes this.
  3. Detroit Mudpuppy

Detroit Mudpuppy Solo Diver

I use a 19 cubic foot Catalina back mounted without any changes to weight or adjustments. Pony band is similar to the Highland Millworks and 3 inches wide, 2 1/4 pounds in weight.

$_57iuiu.jpg

4. savsuds

savsuds Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    When I used the Highland back mount, I found it easier to maintain trim by moving three pounds from one side to the other.

5. 2airishuman

2airishuman Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I have measured the negative buoyancy of my 19cf using a scale. With regulators and stage rigging it is -2.8 pounds when full.

I sling the pony on my left side. I remove 4 pounds of lead from the left side of my belt and add one pound to the right side of my belt, compared to a no-pony configuration.

6. redacted

redacted Guest

In warm water, I only have 2 or 3 pounds on my belt. I sling the pony but do not drop any lead so as to retain the capability to hand off the pony if necessary. I do shift the weight and belt a bit toward my right hip.