For divers with 19cf Pony Bottles, weight distribution and reduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weight belt? :) Slung on the left, don't even know it's there. I never dive without it, it's part of my configuration. Purely from a weight standpoint, a 19 cu ft tank is about .5 negative full, plus reg and hardware, about -2.5lbs total.

My camera does affect my weight and I can pull off about four pounds for it, assuming I have any, 19 and 30 cf auxilary bottles just do not seem to cause an issue other than hitting my camera somtimes.

N

I've been diving with a Pony about 20 years, so I don't recall what I did to adjust for it because it was so long ago.

You can probably check the weight of your pony and the buoyancy on the manufacturers website and do a simple calculation to see how it will affect your weighting. For example, if it weights 9 pounds and adds 2 pounds of buoyancy, my guess is that it is adding 7 pounds of weight to your kit, unless there's something I'm missing (and I'm sure someone will jump in and verify that).

Thanks, for all your inputs, I wrote late night and went diving early today, did not had the chance to look at this post since, I did, pull 3 pounds of the belt, but it was not needed like all of you mention, I had my pony bottle on my right side on the back like a double, only thing I noticed is that I needed those 3 pounds back.

Thanks anyway, this post will be useful for others with the same question in the future.

after tomorrow I will go for solo exploration and see if I BBQ some Lionfish.

I shifted 2 2-lb weights to each tank strap on the left side. I'm able to roll fairly easily and swim sideways. I'd suggest experimenting and see what works best for you.

I shift a pound or two to the other side, dropping that weight could cause an issue if you had to hold a deco stop with an empty tank while emptying the pony. I carry two to four pounds over ideal for an empty tank scenario, so when I add a pony I don't have to add weight for a depleted pony since my lung volume should make up the difference. If I was using ideal weighting, I would add at least two pounds opposite the pony.

I don't usually carry the pony, I do when deep solo and the issue of deco could rear it's ugly head, so I plan accordingly.

Bob
------------------------------------
The most important thing to plan when solo diving is to make sure that you are not diving with an idiot. Dsix36
Bob

I do not drop any weight as I am willing to hand off my slung pony should the need arise. I usually have at least a couple pounds on a weight belt (usually just a single 2 pound weight) and I will push that weight a bit to my right if I feel like the pony is rolling me.

When I had my 19cu ft mounted on a bracket to my primary tank, I would take 1 pound off (total weight) and then switch weights to be 1 pound "heavier" on the opposite side. For example, pony mounted on my right, so 17 pounds total, with 9 pounds on my left and 8 pounds on my right (diving in a drysuit).

However, since I've switched to slinging my pony on my right side, I have found that I don't have to move the weight around and I can wear the weight equal on both sides, although I now pull two pounds off if diving with my pony. My trim is fine that way and I don't notice the trim swing with the pony slung for some reason.

how much weight do you pull off your belt when you use your 19cf PB and how you distribute the weight on your belt once you have the PB on one side, I know it is a little different between divers but some hints will be useful.

Thanks.

I strap my 19cf pony to the right side of my main tank using a Quick Draw mount or I sling it under my arm on my left side, deco style. With my big steel 120cf tank or my aluminum 100cf tank (and the pony), I don't use any weights and once underwater, don't feel like my rig pulls either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom