For tall divers new to Hog BPW set up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancrest67

Reaction score
I have been diving for 11 years now. I am a PADI DM and I have embarked on the technical diving path for the past year. I just purchased a new BPW Aluminum BP set up from Dive Rite. Now I am revisiting an old question I posted some months ago...going with a custom (larger) BP. The one convincing factor is the ability to reach my manifold valves on doubles when needed in an emergency. With my BP straps adjusted so that my waste strap is where it needs to be...streamlining is no problem...but now I feel that the whole rig is low on my back (relatively speaking given that I am 6'4" and I was diving double 95's). The BPW set up worked well except for the fact that if I needed to reach my manifold valves...the reach is tough but reachable. This is disconcerting. Now I am more convinced than ever to go with a custom BP just so that I can get the manifold reach adjusted relative to my straps...and / or go with larger (longer) doubles...or drill a couple more holes in my current BP to move the tanks up an inch or two...or adjust the stainless steel tank bands down an inch or two.

I am sure many of you have struggled with this same dilemma...either the manifold is too low for a good reach or too high for a head bang.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I'm 6'3" with a long torso and I mostly use standards plates. First criteria: you have to be able to reach your valves. Second criteria: you have to be able to trim out properly. Third criteria: you don't want the waist band so high it inteferes with your breathing.

The biggest problem I have is rigging everything so that I have good trim. I usually need "full size" tanks to be successful and haven't had good results from 95's - not that I mind, 'cause it's nice to have the extra gas, too.

There are folks out there that sell long plates or will custom make a plate for you (I have a long one from FredT, he probably still makes them) but I found I didn't really need the length. Longer tanks will put the center of gravity closer to your waist, put a little longer crotch strap on the rig and don't worry about it if the waist band is six inches above where a belt sits on you.

I'm 6' 3" and use a standard plate. You should be more concerned about getting to your valves then where your waist strap lands, size your shoulder straps so you can get to your valves and let the waist strap land where it will (mine is 2-3 inches above where it ideally would be, but it's really no issue). Some longer tanks would help too.

I am also 6'3", and I have no problems with a standard Halcyon plate. I haven't used a standard BCD for any of my diving for the last four years. If you have the bands set properly, then the valve access shouldn't be an issue. If it is, then leave enough slack in your crotch strap so that you can take the opposite hand and raise the cylinders. I know several dive buddies who use this technique.

Greg Barlow

I'm 6'5'' and I have a Dive Rite AL plate, STA and Hog harness. I'm still a bit new to the BP/W setup, but I love it.

However, I found that the crotch strap was too short, so I had to improvise. The one Dive Rite sent me pulled the waist strap down WAY too far. I couldn't find any two inch webbing before I went on my last trip, so I put a hole through the end of the strap, then bolted it to my back plate to give me that extra inch or two, which helped a bunch. My STA actually inteferred with the lower slot just enough so the bolts I had would not fit through, so what I did was sandwhich the end of the crotch strap between the wing and the BP via the bolt on the STA. However, I still plan to get some webbing when I get back to the states because I'd like it to be another inch or so longer and I'll thread it through the lower slot, using a triglide and a D-ring to keep it in place.

Anyways, the standard plate size is good enough for me. I can reach the top of the plate according to the sizing guides out there (link?). I don't do technical diving though, but I am pretty tall, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

-Zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom