Force Fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of force pros and have since replaced them with Apollo bio fins. They do provide alot of thrust, but it does take a special kick to get the most out of them.

If you want some cheap, I think www.diversdirect.com is still doing a close out on Forces with the originals and pros on sale for $69.95. You would probably have to get the bungy straps separately from a LDS.

I've had FF's for years. I have lots of them

The pros are my faves. I have a pair of Extras with pods, but they are like the noodleboard conventional fins...make my ankles tired.

As for making the most of them....not an issue. They respond to just about any method of kicking, from bicycle to traditional flutter. Or frog. Or reverse. Not great on surface because they break into the air so easily.

Don't get classics for drysuit, pro or tan deltas (but the td's will cost more than your regs)

BTW, I use Mares Plana Avanti for teaching. We don't sell FF's at my shop, and explaining them is hard.

Hey Blawer ,

I've been meaning to send a big ole Thank You to you for the tip on divers direct. I have been wanting to upgrade to pros and that was an excellent buy.

Things like that make this board an even bigger asset than it already is.

Thanks again!!

I once dug around so deeply on the Rodale's site that I found a grudging admission that Force Fins don't suck. Most of the time Rodale's just ignores them.

I love mine. I got them for 2 reasons:

1 - I wanted something small and easy to pack.
2 - I was getting constant calf cramps with conventional fins and Force Fins claimed to put an end to cramping.

They weren't lying. Calf cramps are a thing of the past for me. My Pro Force Fins move me through the water with speed and ease. I can put them on and take them off quickly. They fit into the carry on bag that holds the rest of my gear, allowing me to skate out of airports without waiting at the baggage claim.

Possibly the best thing about them is that if I ever get separated from my buddy they can find me easily by looking for my odd shaped, bright yellow, duck feet.

I recommend them without reservation.

Leisurepro carries several models at discount prices.

Originally posted by devjr
Rodale doesn't appear to take the Force fins too seriously. They like the splits; Apollo, Atomic and Scubapro.

Next in preference have been Mares and Aqualung paddle type blades.

That is because Rodale's sucks ass. They only review those who dance with them advertising wise. They did, however, a few years ago buy a pair for testing. Bob Evans, designer of Force Fins, does not give free pairs to advertising whores...........

You want an unbiased look, find the US Department of Navy survey that was done about 4 years ago.
As far as drysuits, a commander of SEAL Team One wanted the Tan Delta model made in a XXXL to fit his size 15 foot in a drysuit boot, because he refused to dive anything else.......

They are only the the fin of choice for the United States Armed Forces--From the SEAL Teams to the Russian Armed Forces as well.

Dive a pair, consistantly on about 10 dives in varying conditions and you will love them.

Force fins rock, they have great speed and are good for hovering and moving into wrecks. Highly recomended. Try a pair today.

Some people say they look strange but they look cool, not everyone's cool enought to dig exciting colours and radical design that works.

I tried a pair of force fins, they were like wet rags on my feet. You can build up a good speed on the straight but no instant responsive acceleration and poor turning power. I went back to jets.

I am a Divemaster in Thailand. I have used Force Fin Pro fins on 200 dives here. I really like them. They take a bit of getting used to and require a special kick. But, I find myself using less energy and using up my air supply slower when using them.

budgy once bubbled...
I tried a pair of force fins, they were like wet rags on my feet. You can build up a good speed on the straight but no instant responsive acceleration and poor turning power. I went back to jets.

here we go again.

first off what type of finning were you doing because if you were doing the standard flutter, you are using them totally ineffectively. with force fins you only kick from the knee, not the full leg. during your kick cycle you kick till you legs are horizontal with you body (if you kick any farther you are just pointing the force straight down and going know where).

the main thing about force fins is forget everything you learned about finning because force fins require shorter fin storkes.

Before you even ask yes you can do all the kick styles in force fins that you can use in standard paddle (Jets), but with force they are much more efficient and have less of a chance of overexcerting your self and getting cramps.

if you dont believe me do a search you will see a good number of force fin divers on this board.

I used to be the biggest critic of force fins. I finally had a friend loan me a pair of excellerators for a couple weeks and now would not go back. You cannot judge these fins off a 10 min pool sesion. If you are like me you'll have to learn a new kicking style but after a few dives you'll get the hang of it. Once thats down watch out you can really cruise and not expend much energy. And I'm not sure on the other models because I have not dove them but frog, kicks, helicopter turns whatever you want to do the excellerators will do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom