Forgive Me.....I Forgot!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason that most agencies teach students NOT to put masks on their forehead is that in rough water it easily gets swiped from your face. Rescue divers are trained to watch for signs of distress and a mask on a forehead is a possible indication as distress makes a person often forget his/her training; however it could also be someone who did not pay attention in class.

I teach my rescue students to NEVER consider a mask on the forhead as a sign of distress. There are better and real signs to look out for.

I wear my mask on my head sometimes, but I put it on backwards. (The strap is on my forehead and the lense on the back of my head.) Many times, I simply clip my mask off to my right d-ring. The main reason not to put a mask on your head, is that you might lose it. The idea that a mask on the head means the diver is distressed is not too realistic. When people become distressed, they usually pull the mast off and toss it to the side.

As you can see there are different opinions regarding this and different teaching principles by numerous instructors!! Shouldnt there be a standard????????????? Can anybody refer to anything in writing by ANY agency? (Besides a '79 PADI book?)

I don't think there needs to be a "mask on the head" standard. It really isn't a critical issue. At worst, someone loses a mask. If someone is really distressed, you'll know it.

I seem to remember reading something about not having a mask on your head in one of the NAUI books. What the agencies think is not relevant; put your mask on your head if you like. My only concern with a mask on the head it is that you might lose your mask. If you put the mask on your head backwards as I described earlier, it is much less likely to be knocked off. You can always clip it off too. I've never lost a mask so, both methods work.

I appreciate your answer John but if some instuctors/agencies teach differently then i think its a problem. If it is a sign of distress then i surely wouldnt do it, if not then why would my inst.(NAUI) harp on it so???? Just a thought!

Old school vs. New school. DMs and instructors who teach that its a sign of distress really embarrass those of us who know better.

QuoVadis:
I appreciate your answer John but if some instuctors/agencies teach differently then i think its a problem. If it is a sign of distress then i surely wouldnt do it, if not then why would my inst.(NAUI) harp on it so???? Just a thought!
Well, like I said, it's not really a critical issue. A mask on the head is not a sign of distress so, I really don't care if people do it or not. It would be different if we were talking about the correct way to donate gas in an OOG emergency. Just because NAUI harps on the subject doesn't mean anything.

Back
Top Bottom