Forgot dust cap, rinsed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwlast

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dove last nite, came home threw my reg set up (1st stage, 2nd stage, octo, computer, etc) into the rinse bucket and let it set for a few minutes, When I took it out, I noticed the dust cap was not in place on the first stage. Immediately I took the whole setup, mounted it on a tank and depressed the purge button on the reg and octo to blow some air (about 200 lbs) threw each.

Question is, after forgetting to install the dust cap and allowing the set-up to soak, should I have the reg serviced? What damage could I have done? Or after blowing air through the system would that "dried" it out sufficently I should just keep an eye on it on the next dive?

Any expertise would be appreciated.....

You might now have moisture in your SPG, but if it was fresh water then there was probably no damage to the regulator.

jwlast once bubbled...
Dove last nite, came home threw my reg set up (1st stage, 2nd stage, octo, computer, etc) into the rinse bucket and let it set for a few minutes, When I took it out, I noticed the dust cap was not in place on the first stage. Immediately I took the whole setup, mounted it on a tank and depressed the purge button on the reg and octo to blow some air (about 200 lbs) threw each.

Question is, after forgetting to install the dust cap and allowing the set-up to soak, should I have the reg serviced? What damage could I have done? Or after blowing air through the system would that "dried" it out sufficently I should just keep an eye on it on the next dive?

Any expertise would be appreciated.....

You did the right thing. I would have taken out an LP hose and blown the water right out of the port instead of blowing it through teh 2nd stage but what you did is still ok.

What's in your reg is fresh water. You shouldn't expect any problems with it if you've purged it thoroughly. Get it serviced on schedule.

R..

OUCH!! I did the same thing once when I was in a bit of hurry with my gear cleaning. Since it was fresh water (always drain and refill the rinse tank before doing regs), there was no problem. I let it dry out after purging the water and didn't have a problem. When I got it serviced a few months later (annual) there was no indication that it had ever been wet inside. You should be fine. ZG

Opening the reg and taking a quick look inside should not take a good technitian long time and if there is no real problem inside he will probably not even take money for it.
Just to be on the safe side.

And in any case, you will probably want to replace the dust filter itself, as it bound to get rusted a bit after this.
Also not supposed to be expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom