Silly rinsing mistake. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After my dive yesterday, I accidently sprayed my regulator hanging on the wall without my DIN cap screwed on. The water spray hit the first stage opening. When tilting it down I saw 2-3 drops water falling out of the first stage.
I immediately hooked up my Reg to a tank and moved air through it by purging both second stages a few times.
Should I now service my reg or is it ok to keep diving it?

Since it is fresh water, a good flow of dry air from a tank should be plenty to dry it out especially if done right away. If it was mine, I wouldn't service just because of this. However, I do have an IP gauge and check my regs before every dive and before putting them away after every dive trip. That way you will notice any need for servicing long before it is actually a problem.

After my dive yesterday, I accidently sprayed my regulator hanging on the wall without my DIN cap screwed on. The water spray hit the first stage opening. When tilting it down I saw 2-3 drops water falling out of the first stage.
I immediately hooked up my Reg to a tank and moved air through it by purging both second stages a few times.
Should I now service my reg or is it ok to keep diving it?
What brand and style of regulator?

What brand and style of regulator?
Good point!

:wink: I just realized my last advice was bad. Depending on the model, the regulator is hopelessly destroyed. But, out of the goodness of my heart, I will take it off your hands and even pay shipping cost to "use it for parts":wink:.

But, to be serious, if it was an AquaLung with ACD or something similar there is no risk.

Best practice is to take off the SPG hose, and then blow air through it through the first stage. Otherwise, you risk pushing water into the SPG.

Best practice is to take off the SPG hose, and then blow air through it through the first stage. Otherwise, you risk pushing water into the SPG.
Good point. I unfortunately didn't think of that...

Not likely necessary, do you have an IP gauge?
No. I ordered one just now. Good to have anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom