Fort Lauderdale,Deerfield beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
ok one more time need info on Aqua zoo and the Emperor wreck in Lauderdale is it a good dive worth the 4 hour drive out of Saint Augustine

Well, I drive about 3 hrs 20 min to get to a quarry in northwest Ohio. A four hour drive to dive in the ocean seems like a good deal! The Sea Emperor was my first boat dive and first wreck -- saw a southern stingray and a large green morey. I don't know about Aqua Zoo. If you're going next week, I'll be in Ft.Lauderdale on vacation.

-Rob

jaguars_diver:
ok one more time need info on Aqua zoo and the Emperor wreck in Lauderdale is it a good dive worth the 4 hour drive out of Saint Augustine
I'd do it, though that is a LONG drive for two dives. I hope you hit a good day with outstanding visibility so you don't regret it.

Also, make sure that's what they're diving the day you come down... they often change destinations unless somebody speaks up!

FYI, here's a list of dive sites out of Pompano, and the "two" wrecks are listed...
http://www.southfloridadiving.com/dive_sites.htm

MikeJacobs:
I'd do it, though that is a LONG drive for two dives. I hope you hit a good day with outstanding visibility so you don't regret it.

Also, make sure that's what they're diving the day you come down... they often change destinations unless somebody speaks up!

FYI, here's a list of dive sites out of Pompano, and the "two" wrecks are listed...
http://www.southfloridadiving.com/dive_sites.htm

I'm diving Fort Lauderdale in early May and was just going to take the dives I was offered but if you can recommend a few sites, other than the Tenaco Towers, which they don't do on a day I'm there, I would apprecaite it.

Tom Winters:
4 hours is too far to dive shallow stuff like that unless you really need to see it.

Now that is just not very helpful. Just because you are 5 minutes away from diving in Boca doesn't mean that someone way inland shouldn't consider driving to dive something good. If you had an alternate suggestion, I could support that, but . . . .

Wristshot

Wristshot:
Now that is just not very helpful. Just because you are 5 minutes away from diving in Boca doesn't mean that someone way inland shouldn't consider driving to dive something good. If you had an alternate suggestion, I could support that, but . . . .Wristshot
Not helpful? He asked for an opinion.
That kind of dive all depends on their skills level - I wouldn't recommend some newly-certified person to drive 4 hours and do trimix dive on the Hydro Atlantic. Likewise, I wouldn't recommend the same long drive for an experience, seasoned diver to dive the Sea Emperor. Both sites are not far from one another.
Now the original posting - "ok one more time need info on Aqua zoo and the Emperor wreck in Lauderdale is it a good dive worth the 4 hour drive out of Saint Augustine" and the author's profile do not mention level-of-experience.
So is that dive worth a 4-hour drive from St. Augustine? The answer from my uniquely-unqualified perspective is still no.
Is the Hydro Atlantic worth a trip from San Jose for an experience diver? Absolutely. The DIR-types will make you shuck the horns though - entanglement hazards plus they're not black.
Also, St. Augustine is on the eastern coast - they have some good diving up there, but some of the wrecks are 20 miles offshore. Last year, a guy on an offshore dive up there shared his wreck dive with an old, grizzled great white shark.
Oh, and for the record, I am at least 55 minutes from any kind of decent diving off Boca.

I think if you plan the dive right the Sea Emperor can be a great dive. The United Caribbean is 300 yards away from the Emperor wreck so if you have a good bottom time, you can do both wrecks. Between the Goliath Groupers, Rays and Moray Eels you get to see at both wrecks, the dive could be amazing.

It's a neat dive in that I've dove over 100 times. There a 3 resident goliath grouper that hang out there as well as several sting rays, a free swimming moray and an occssional nurse shark. I take a lot of students out there because there is so much life that they are really impressed. If you're coming down for the weekend, you'll really enjoy diving down here. Good luck.

jaguars_diver:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom