Forty Fathom Grotto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did it last year when I was going through AOW. It was nice, they have a few things placed shallow for people not loking to go all the way down. They have a motorcycle at 60 or 70 feet. I hear they have a small plane at 80 some odd feet ( I didn't see it myself). They have platforms at certain depths as well. I think, though, that you have to be with an instructor, or DM that has been qualified by 40FG to get in.

I dove The Grotto about 2 years ago while training for my TDI decompression course, went down to 165', I thought the dive was spectacular, however that is my type of diving, in deep dark places!!!

I dove the Grotto earlier this summer (Adv Nitrox/Deco).
It was a little dark down there , but fun.

Now as for the fill prices ... :confused:

Da Beano

Great place to dive once or do deep training.Even with all the stuff in it it's just not that exciting.OTOH you may get to talk to Hal and he is very personable.

To train at the site its top notch with set up areas over the water,Hal has lots of neat stuff hung from a car to a cycle and if your instructor gives you the right tour you can see the fossils on the wall.
Just not anyone can pay and dive as you need to be in the water with a certified instructor or trainer that has gone thru the Forty Fathom Grotto's cert.
Well worth it,
And as said Hal is one Great Guy, as these guys did the ground work that has made extended range and reg diving safe today!
Brad

I like going to Forty Fathom Grotto for my Deep and AOW Deep classes. It's a nice controlled area where I can take students down to 100-130 feet while following a guide line. It's a great place for deep training. As far as going there for a recreational dive? It's a hole in the ground with airplanes, boats, cars, subs, and a motorcycle (strung up on ropes)... The viz is usually 30+ feet... and dark... lots of fossils on the walls...

You have to dive with a guide... so, it makes it a little pricey.. bring your own air... it is expensive...

ah, it's a big hole in the ground full of water, with no great vis

there's stuff in the hole (some boats, a bike ... i think a plane... bunch of cars)

there's a hellacious set of stairs to go down (and then up) to get to the hole

it's great for training (deep diving and deco, etc.)

you can't dive it unless you arrange with one of the qualified instructors. i think that's how the system works. i know for sure you can't just show up and dive.

When I was there I was told anyone DM and up can go get qualified as a guide and then bring people in with them.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom