Found of the coast of Puerto Aventuras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pez de Diablo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
On last nights night dive we came across this interesting looking fish that looks like a cross between a Toad fish and a Scorpion fish. Does anyone have a clue to what it is since I can't find it in any of my ID books?

Thanks Dennis

My bet's on a member of the toadfish clade, based on it's head shape.

I'm thinking along the same lines. Hopefully someone will recognize this bearded fish.

That one's definitely a toadfish.
We call that one the "Gulf Toadfish" (Opsanus beta) but it's probably an "Oyster Toadfish" (Opsanus tau). (Never have been able to tell the diifference with a casual look)
I'll play it safe and say it's "Opsanus sp."
Rick :)

Rick Murchison:
That one's definitely a toadfish.
We call that one the "Gulf Toadfish" (Opsanus beta) but it's probably an "Oyster Toadfish" (Opsanus tau). (Never have been able to tell the diifference with a casual look)
I'll play it safe and say it's "Opsanus sp."
Rick :)

Just looking at one of my reference books, it says the southern limit on the oyster toadfish (Opsanus tau) is Florida so Opsanus beta is more likely. Another possibility is the leopard toadfish (Opsanus pardus).

So.... er... I'll also play it safe and say Opsanus sp. :D

RIOceanographer:
Just looking at one of my reference books, it says the southern limit on the oyster toadfish (Opsanus tau) is Florida so Opsanus beta is more likely. Another possibility is the leopard toadfish (Opsanus pardus).

So.... er... I'll also play it safe and say Opsanus sp. :D
Yep... yep pardus is a definite possibility.
Rick

Golly, scientific names tossed left and right, and not one italicized or underlined.

The internet is evil.

archman:
Golly, scientific names tossed left and right, and not one italicized or underlined.

The internet is evil.
Hey man, you could at least congratulate us 'cause we capped the Genus and lower-cased the species... after all, college was a Very, very long time ago. :)
Rick

archman:

The internet is evil.

Indeed I am evil!!!! Scientific names, book titles, none are safe from my lazy forum typing!!! No one can stop my reign of text formatting terror!!!!

Muwahahahaha! :devil_2:

Back
Top Bottom