Found this on the wreck of the shurz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajohn921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i think its a tile? its about a 1/4 in thick, and has raised U.S on it, no other markings, any ideas? wasnt the shurz a german vessel? maybe this was from when they kitted it out? I have no idea

Attachments

• tile.jpg
    tile.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 170
i think its a tile? its about a 1/4 in thick, and has raised U.S on it, no other markings, any ideas? wasnt the shurz a german vessel? maybe this was from when they kitted it out? I have no idea

Here's a good link to info on that wreck:

Wreck Descriptions

I love diving that wreck-lots of critters and the viz was great when I was visiting:D

Poog:coffee:

Looks like the snapped off head of a bolt ...

They are tiles, I have a couple of them myself. I will be down there in 11 days and counting.
The group of Jersey divers I go with charters the whole boat for a week of diving. We hit the Shurz at least for two dives maybe more if there is enough interest. I have serveral cool things off that wreck. Bullets nails and some cooper an dbrass pieces. Last year someone in the group came up with two name plates in German and a cage light with the glass. It is a cool wreck for digging!
Original Name was the Geier, built 1894 was a coal burning cruiser interned in Honolulu during WW1
Changed Name to USS Shurz Dec 1917 sunk June 1918 by collisionwith American tanker Florida.

See you topside! John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom