Found Watch in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A woman on my dive boat last week lost her GoPro and a call went out - no answer. 2 days later it was found and the DM who found it put a call out. Thought everything was fine until the boats got together between dives and he wanted $100 US for it. He was an independent, he and our DM went back and forth, but without $100 he wouldn't give it up. You should of seen the expressions of the divers on his boat. Sad. I'll leave it up to her to post name etc if she want.

Yea you ought to post that name. Let the shame roll! Wonder if MX has a theft of lost property law? Here he would be a collar.

The GoPro has to be the most lost item in diving history, I have yet to go anywhere without hearing about a lost GoPro. I lost a Sealife camera and got it back on my next trip, due to an honest person, "Hector Reyes". The diver that snagged that camera better watch out, Karma can be a Bitch.........:wink:

People continue to surprise me on both sides of this.

Anyone who would steal someone's camera or hold it for ransom is just plain lowlife. Sometimes the data on the camera is more precious than the camera itself. OK, you jerk, keep the camera but at least pull the SD card and give it back to me.

OTOH, a couple of years ago my wife dropped her SeaLife camera and strobe at the end of a dive on Colombia Deep. The strobe separated from the camera when we were at the surface with no weights and inflated BC's; all I could do was watch them sink. Two days later another diver found the camera and someone else he was diving with found the strobe. The first shot on the SD card was of a "this camera belongs to..." sheet I drew up and photographed. He got the strobe from the other diver, and he sent the camera and strobe to us. He didn't ask for a reward, but I sent him a hundred bucks.

Nice of you to post this Ed. One of our friends dropped his SeaLife camera when we down there just a few weeks ago. As he went to go get it another diver swooped in and snagged it and took off. We had the captain put out a call over the radio but no one called back. So our friend is out $700.

I've never heard of such a thing, that's is so completely outrageous I'd assume it wasn't even a true story if it wasn't that you know the person. In two decades of diving I've experienced nothing but a camaraderie and brotherhood of divers showing generosity, going out of their way for strangers and nothing but acts of kindness. That story is really, really disheartening.

A woman on my dive boat last week lost her GoPro and a call went out - no answer. 2 days later it was found and the DM who found it put a call out. Thought everything was fine until the boats got together between dives and he wanted $100 US for it. He was an independent, he and our DM went back and forth, but without $100 he wouldn't give it up. You should of seen the expressions of the divers on his boat. Sad. I'll leave it up to her to post name etc if she want.

Not sure why anyone would protect the reputation of this dive master by not exposing them.

Was there no way to report this dive master to the police? Wouldn't that be considered a crime? If not the very least publicizing them and their dive business would at least help other divers reading here avoid them and hurt their business, I can't imagine the scubaboard or cozumel community wants people like that around.

If anyone knows of someone who lost a diving watch in Cozumel recently, let me know what it was and describe it. We found it buried in the sand with only the band showing.

First, not to stray to far from the OP.....Thanks for posting...It is good to know that there are folks out there who know how to do the right thing.

Then, however, on the other hand......SHAME, SHAME, SHAME to the two greedy people involved with the stories posted that are an example of how NOT to treat others.....Just remember what They say... "What goes around comes around"....and "IT" WILL ...Sooner or later .... creep up on you when you least expect it...:fear:

Double S

First, not to stray to far from the OP.....Thanks for posting...It is good to know that there are folks out there who know how to do the right thing.

Then, however, on the other hand......SHAME, SHAME, SHAME to the two greedy people involved with the stories posted that are an example of how NOT to treat others.....Just remember what They say... "What goes around comes around"....and "IT" WILL ...Sooner or later .... creep up on you when you least expect it...:fear:

Double S

You are exactly right Sue. I have seen time and again. Like they say, Karma is a bitch!

I actually did lose a gold and silver Tag Heuer watch freediving with my kids in Cozumel. Think one of them hanged my watch as we were playing around. I would be shocked though if someone actually found it! I offered a $100 reward to anyone on the beach and have them the gear to try but alas...no luck.

Teeter on the Edge

So far, not a Mickey Mouse, not a Casio, not a Tag Heuer and not Augustus' Wife's Rolex. While it is a good watch, not one of those. Since it was buried in the sand, it could have been there a very long time...hard to tell, but looks recently lost. Still running with correct time.

Back
Top Bottom