Freaking out for no reason...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uraluni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
...I have this friend...ok it's me.., who has been diving for many years. Some of it is easy, clear Caribbean diving, most of if it has been dark, deep water diving.

However, lately I've found that I've found that my heart is in my my throat recently during deep dives. I don't know why.

I find that I have a level of panic for know known reason once I get below about 80' or so. My training and experience has taking me much below this level, but lately my brain has been freezing lately.

It's a bit embarrassing to admit this, but I'd like any insight into my "issues."

Last edited by a moderator:
You must be getting scared at below 80' which could be a bit of narcosis, but likely more mental. Has there been a change in your life recently? Do you think of dying during diving?

Honestly except for a bit more breathing noise, and my depth gauge, I'd never know I was above or below 80', especially in low vis.

If you have over 500 dives, and a lot below 80', and are just now freaking out at depth, something changed.

IMO this sounds like a mental thing based on your experience, so something is going on in your mind that is causing this. Do I have a solution, not really. Maybe talk to a therapist?

However, lately I've found that I've found that my heart is in my my throat recently during deep dives. I don't know why.

CO2 buildup from a poorly performing regulator, a wetsuit/drysuit that's become too tight, new medications or dosages, bad gas . . .

Could be almost anything.

Just for grins, the next time you're down, try an air share with your buddy. A hard-breathing reg is really insidious. You'll never figure out what's wrong until you compare it with something else

Too-tight exposure protection/equipment can cause constricted breathing that can also lead to CO2 buildup and anxiety.

If you recently started popping sudafed, anxiety is one of it's side effects.

Terry

Great point made there Web Monkey! I recently dove the Oriskany and came up from the first dive with a splitting headache (thought I was bent at first). We had a long SI and I went back down after I felt better. It was during the second dive that I realized that I was having to pull on my regulator too hard. Starving your brain of air can have some very negative effects on a dive and the diver.

CO2 buildup from a poorly performing regulator, a wetsuit/drysuit that's become too tight, new medications or dosages, bad gas . . .

Just for grins, the next time you're down, try an air share with your buddy. A hard-breathing reg is really insidious. You'll never figure out what's wrong until you compare it with something else

Too-tight exposure protection/equipment can cause constricted breathing that can also lead to CO2 buildup and anxiety.

Terry

Well, Terry didn't leave much for me to say. He pretty well covered the issues I was going to bring up.

CO2 can lead to some really weird thinking, been there, done that.

Well, Terry didn't leave much for me to say. He pretty well covered the issues I was going to bring up.

CO2 can lead to some really weird thinking, been there, done that.

Sorry. :cool:

Terry

Terry

My wife was laughing at me, but I found that I was having issues with my second stage. I was on a boat recently in North Florida where I was super-embarrassed that I felt my primary second stage was going wonky. The moment I hit the water, it sounded as if I was breathing through a sound-stage in my head and it was difficult to breath. I have an expensive cold-water setup, but it didn't work this time around.

Can you think of a reason why a generally cold water setup would **** up in north FL?

My wife was laughing at me, but I found that I was having issues with my second stage. I was on a boat recently in North Florida where I was super-embarrassed that I felt my primary second stage was going wonky. The moment I hit the water, it sounded as if I was breathing through a sound-stage in my head and it was difficult to breath. I have an expensive cold-water setup, but it didn't work this time around.

Can you think of a reason why a generally cold water setup would **** up in north FL?

Sometimes mechanical stuff just breaks.

Not helpful, but true.

Hmm, I never considered an equipment/reg issue, but Terry has a good point.

Second stages, and first stages can have failures. If your Second breaths better than your primary, than you may have something going on with that. However I would think it more likely that the seal in your first stage is going bad as it is a cold water setup. If it blows, the first stage will stop functioning. This generally does not happen under pressure/UW. But my first stage seal blew in my 50D Zeagle (topside), and it was worthless until service.

It is easy enough to have it serviced, or switch out the first stage to determine if you have an issue assuming you have some backups.

If not, I was not trying to be flip about seeing a therapist. I have read about divers that have things happen in their life that impact their confidence UW.

It could also be a reaction to stress, fatigue, narcosis etc. You might be having trouble relaxing.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom