Freaking out over giant stride...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year we started doing the security sweep on the Disney ship when it would stop in Puerto Vallarta every week. It is about a 10-15' drop depending on the tide and the first time I was a bit nervous but it gets easier once you do it a few times. Never had any problem with entry, even from that height, went straight in. Frank is right, you'll be fine.

HighPressure:
T minus 2 weekends to either face flops, tank banging on the boat, or perfect giant strides..... (oh boy - I need to do more visualizing.....)

I believe I HAVE to do the giant stride for the certification. So thanks for those that suggested I get in the water some other way... But that will have to wait until I'm either certified or certifiable.
The best idea so far is to practice, practice, practice stepping into a pool with a mask and snorkel.

If your leg is sticking out when you go in, there is no way to face plant. Your leg will hit the water first. Be sure to take a BIG step outwards.

Diver Dennis:
Last year we started doing the security sweep on the Disney ship when it would stop in Puerto Vallarta every week. It is about a 10-15' drop depending on the tide and the first time I was a bit nervous but it gets easier once you do it a few times. Never had any problem with entry, even from that height, went straight in. Frank is right, you'll be fine.

And I thought the drop from The Spree was scary the first time I did it. LOL

Diver Dennis:
Well to tell you the truth I had no choice after the other 2 went in. Let's just say I was VERY nervous...:D
It took me about 2 minutes to get up the courage to jump off the Spree the first time. Held up the whole line. LOL. My buddy was ticked off. "What the hell you doing up there?" he yelled from the line. I blew though my tank in 40 minutes on that first dive, I was so nervous. I can't imagine doing a 15 foot drop. Someone would have to push me. LOL

I have a friend with a now conquered fear of heights and former fear of the giant stride AND the back roll, and these ideas got him to the point where it's no longer an issue for him.
I don't know if his thoughts will help you, but try to visualize/realize, that your B.C. will be inflated before you go in and it will act as a sort of "bouncey bobbing pillow" for you immediately after you enter the water.
He subconciously/conciously knows that he won't "bounce" after a fall/jump on dry land but in the water he will so it's ok! Maybe the same thought will help you? Consider it sort of a parachute that with a gentle jerk will arrest your fall and land you like a pillow-especially if you have a back inflate b.c. which will allow you to lie back and relax a bit more (mybe) after entering.
Also thinking going "into" the water rather than landing "onto" it may help dispense or reduce some of the hard landing/land/height issue.

It's also possilbe if you just can't conquer a true phobia to put gear on once you've slipped into the water. You would probably need to arrange to be the last buddy pair in so that you're not holding anyone up and have pool practiced those skills a lot before boat diving with a group.
Try the pool thing with snorkel gear lst and build up to scuba gear, but consider wearing the b.c. "parachute" when you do to get used to that safety pillow landing idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom