Freaking out over giant stride...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The key to the giant stride, for me, is not to look down. If you look at the water, you'll subconsciously hop/jump, and that can result in a face-plant or some other disaster. Keep your eyes fixed on the horizon. Tuck your gauges etc. with your left hand, and hold your reg & mask with your right. Look at the horizon and step forward. It should almost be a surprise that there's nothing under your foot/fin when it comes down. As your forward fin enters the water, it will slow your descent to the point where it feels no harder than flopping onto a waterbed.

If the platform is particularly high, just do your giant stride as you always do, but on the way down, bring your knees and ankles together. Practice it. After the third or fourth one, they are no big deal, but the key is, keep your eyes on the horizon. If you're doing it in a pool, keep your eyes on the far side of the pool.

Hey Frank, I think we're neighbors. Hiya! How'd you get those smileys in your sig...?

I was was scared when I did my first bungee jump from 45 m. At the moment of the jump i closed my eyes and just stepped off. But that was fun. So when you take your leap think about the exciting dive instead of the height or just close your eyes.

I agree that the key is not to look down. Also be on the edge with the balls of your feet touching the dock. Be sure to step way out so your tank does not hit in back. It bothered me initially and now I hardly think about it.

Guba:
Like many who answered, I'm no big fan of heights, and that was always a sore spot for me. Therefore, I set out to conquer that fear. I took up rock climbing!

I started off with very minor climbing challenges. Some were only a few feet, but I worked my way up, literally and figuratively. That's exactly what I suggest for you. Start off with "giant strides" that aren't all that giant. With little or no gear, do strides off the edge of the pool, and if that's too much, then stride from the ladder or steps at a pool. Progress to strides with limited gear, perhaps snorkel and mask, then snorkel, mask and fins. Work your way up--full gear, then from a low platform with gear.

I completely agree with Guba. Your fear of heights need to be addressed, then progress to you giant strides. I spend a lot of time breaking my own fears, as I have discovered that a fear can control your action and prevent you experiencing things in life. Expose yourself to your fears, and smile while you do it.
For a fear of heights , go rock climbing. Climbing gym, then a small cliff, then a big cliff. Be gradual. Move to Abseiling, then a bungy jump and a sky dive. Actually DO them, not just think about it.
Commit yourself to it and trust in the experience. If you can climb a good cliff, or jump out of a plane, then a giant stride will be childs play. When you can put this fear behind you, then you can progress your skills in other areas without intrusive thoughts.
I won't add anything more on technique, these guys have done better than I could.

Welcome and congratulations on taking up diving!

T minus 2 weekends to either face flops, tank banging on the boat, or perfect giant strides..... (oh boy - I need to do more visualizing.....)

I believe I HAVE to do the giant stride for the certification. So thanks for those that suggested I get in the water some other way... But that will have to wait until I'm either certified or certifiable.

Here's a checklist for you, then:

1. Stand on the platform or entry point. Make sure you have some air in your BC.

2. Left hand holds your computer and octopus, right hand holds your mask and reg.

3. Look at the horizon.

4. Take a BIG STEP. (DO NOT LOOK DOWN)

5. Let gravity take over.

6. Surface and give the "OK" sign.

7. Enjoy your dive. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom