Freaking out over giant stride...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have said I think it will get easier for you as you do more. Hang in there.

Chad

www.scubamazing.com:
Like everyone else has said, just step way out. I like the advice of doing in in the pool with a mask and snorkel.

I had trouble with this when I was a student. We learned the first time in the pool, and to say I embarassed myself is an understatement. Pure, flat out flop, face first into the water. The reason for this I found out, after my instructor stopped laughing, was I did not get my 2nd foot out at all, and the fin pretty much gave me a pivot to fall straight in on my head. Pretty much like tripping into the wat. I avoided it in the pool, but when it came time to get certified, I did fine, because the water wasnt right at my foot as I was going in. The time of the fall made it easy for me!

Arms straight out over your head, bend at the waist.....have the divemaster give your @$$ a big shove!!!

Just kidding...the biggest piece of advice that I (and others) can give you is to look straight out at the horizon, NOT down. You could even try closing your eyes until you hit the water, as long as you are looking forward.

My 2 Cents

Mike Rushton

As a former Paratrooper I can relate your problem, believe it or not. Even after a a decade of jumping out of planes, there where times.. when ...just before the unnatural act was to occur, I felt a huge surge of panic. With that being said, the "old trick" for paratroopers is to look out to the horizon, just like Mike and the other guys mentioned earlier. It it works at 800ft?!
Unfortunately, I can only offer what works for me and not a true solution. The other thing to consider is the....TRUTH. Just tell the DM your dislike of the stride! I am a bit of an airhog, so I always ask for the higher cap tanks the day before a dive. NO SHAME HERE!

HighPressure:
I kept imaging either my leg hitting the edge, or doing a full face flop into the water...

you could try doing a few full face flops into the water on purpose. that's how i started out doing them until my dive buddy pointed out what i was doing wrong... i thought it seemed like i was making a much bigger splash than everyone else in the class... just make sure you've got a good grip over the reg in your mouth -- as long as you can breathe and float you're okay...

Like many who answered, I'm no big fan of heights, and that was always a sore spot for me. Therefore, I set out to conquer that fear. I took up rock climbing!
No kidding, it worked. I'm still don't have a real love for being in high places, but by constantly facing it, I've managed to get over the sense of panic I once experienced. It didn't come all at once, though, and there wasn't a single "breakthrough moment" when the fear went away. Rather, I started off with very minor climbing challenges. Some were only a few feet, but I worked my way up, literally and figuratively. That's exactly what I suggest for you. Start off with "giant strides" that aren't all that giant. With little or no gear, do strides off the edge of the pool, and if that's too much, then stride from the ladder or steps at a pool. Progress to strides with limited gear, perhaps snorkel and mask, then snorkel, mask and fins. Work your way up--full gear, then from a low platform with gear. Always do exactly the same thing with a routine that you will follow every time. Do what these other divers have said and what your trainer said. Yes, it helps to look at the horizon. Also, it helps to visualize yourself doing giant strides SUCCESSFULLY (never visualize a dreaded disaster).
With some time and repeated practice, you'll face down that fear in no time and be ready for that 5 foot step off the M/V Fling or M/V Spree (both charters in the Gulf of Mexico with really TALL dive gates) in no time. Best wishes and welcome to the sport! Bless you.

Most of the boat crews I've met are very accomidating. Personally I get sea sick very easily, so they usually let me stay in the water during SI and board just before we get underway.

In other words, let your DM know and if there are other options he can work with you...

Its pretty common. Alot of the boats I have been on the DM will say "anyone who has a problem with a giant stride do X" whatever X is for that boat.

Having said all that once you get over the fear, it really is the easiest way to get in the water. I find the back roll disorenting for a second or two so much prefer the stride.

If you're going over the ladder, there's not much choice, you have to do a giant stride as you are moving up. OTOH, it's extemely rare for the boat to be configured so you have to go over the ladder. You can usually go off the swim platform beside the ladder. Simply, turn around, hold the rail and (make sure the water is clear below you) step back. You'll be in the water just as easily as with a giant stride, but you'll slip in the water instead of crashing into it. The back step is a much more graceful method than the giant stride.

My first gs after ow cert. was really a giant face plant but guess what , eventhough my mask was flooded I still had my reg to breath on and I bobbed to the surface in 1 sec.
Take your time ,check , check,GO!
Like everthing else I've learned since my beginning as a diver ..........
The deamons are truely within
dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom