Frederick MD area divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDankanich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
New to the area, any divers out there around the Frederick MD area? Looking for some new dive buddies. SDI/TDI trained, looking to get up to Juturna before we get froze out.

New to the area, any divers out there around the Frederick MD area? Looking for some new dive buddies. SDI/TDI trained, looking to get up to Juturna before we get froze out.
Hmmm, that might be tricky. As far as I know, Juturna is not open until next Spring.

Yeah, Juturna hasn’t opened yet, they’re still setting up the infrastructure from what I understand, but haven’t seen an update in a while. As far as I know they’re shooting for Spring 2022.

I went down to Lake Phoenix a few weekends ago, water was still nice. I'm in Loudoun County VA so my trip would be about 20 minutes shorter or so than yours, it's a drive but it's diveable. I'm looking forward to Juturna opening as well based on how close it is.

I went down to Lake Phoenix a few weekends ago, water was still nice. I'm in Loudoun County VA so my trip would be about 20 minutes shorter or so than yours, it's a drive but it's diveable. I'm looking forward to Juturna opening as well based on how close it is.
Lake Pheonix is only open by appointment for the winter so check their website before you make the drive down.

I live in Richmond and had not heard of Juturna so researched it a little bit. Looks like they will run a fairly restrictive park. Three of their "rules" below caught my attention.
  1. No solo diving (even with a certification).
  2. All divers diving deeper than 100’ must notify Juturna Springs in writing.
  3. No dives deeper than 100’ unless diver uses a standard technical diving configuration approved by the Juturna Springs staff. No independent Backmount doubles for dives deeper than 100’.
Looks like the primary attraction of the site are 1. proximity to the DC/Baltimore area, 2. depths of 200', which would make it the closest tech deep diving training site in the area.

Not sure what is driving the no solo diving, whether they have an insurance issue. And the no 100' with a "technical diving configuration" is pretty odd, would seem to preclude courses like PADI Deep specialty which is generally not taught in doubles.

I was told their insurer will not allow solo diving under any circumstances. I'd assume depth limitations are insurance related too, but it's just assumption, I have never had to carry a policy of that type and deal with that.

I know my local quarry up here used to offer night diving. They had to quit because their insurer wanted an extra 2-3k a year(?) to cover it. It just wasn't worth it for the limited number of people who he expected to take advantage of that. He doesn't allow ice diving for the same reason. They wanted more to cover that.

It's really a shame. I hope JS comes around. We had Bainbridge (that I never got to), Hydes, and now Dutch all close down.

All those "rules" are for insurance purposes. I'm not saying not to follow them, I'm saying I can't imagine how they'd enforce some of them without driving people off? Look at everyone's dc as they exit? "101'...you're outa here!!!", lol.

Is it also somewhat more understandable that they'll have more rules being that deep? Dutch is what ~ 109' after it rains? 200' is pretty deep. Makes sense the ins. company wants some type of cutoff for rec / tec people, yeah? Just asking.

Interested, I'm in NOVA area, near Dulles Airport

Back
Top Bottom