Free diving manuals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Thanshin,
welcome to the board.

Don' t worry about some of the negative posts ... Sometime "expert" divers act weird.

I don't have any manual to suggest .... But, if you are into video games/simulators, you can try to reach the end of the Ressell cave in our eDiving simulator.
If / when you manage to come back alive, you will have learned something

Hasta Luego

Thanshin,

I'm thinking that you may not be a native English speaker (although obviously you are fluent), or at least not "US-ian" -- going by your use of "formation."

At any rate, are you looking for books "about" cave diving, or "textbooks/manuals," such as would accompany classes? If the former... that may be less controversial than a perceived plan to "get" textbooks for free?

I am a newbie here and I really don't understand what is wrong about what Thanshin has asked! Is this some rule here? I usually use Wikipedia to do some pre-reading before I learn anything and a few books if I can get my hands on them. And for a generation that has grown along with the help of wikis we are eager to learn more but never at the cost of our lives or others' livelihood. :wink:
Since you are not yet certified, let me offer a rather simplified reply.

As you will find out when you learn to dive soon, "recreational diving" courses are meant to be carried out so that the diver has direct, unimpeded access to the surface in case of an emergency. Cave diving and some aspects of wreck diving (if the diver enters the wreck or if it is very deep/requiring a decompression stop) obviously do not allow for direct access to the surface, and for this reason (and others) both wreck diving and cave diving--the activities the OP is seeking training materials for--require highly specialized training.

The risks of this kind of diving are much, much, much greater than for ordinary recreational diving, and consequently the training for this kind of diving tends to be very involved and relatively costly. Unfortunately some people try to save on the expense of training by self-teaching through reading books and manuals without the benefit of formal training. I personally see it as morally unacceptable to make it easy for people to do this. If they manage to get hold of training materials anyway and try to learn on their own and then suffer a mishap (and even die) because of insufficient preparation, nobody else must share in the moral responsibility for the death.

Last edited:
Heard contemptuous elitism before.

Not impressed.

Next time you imply knowledge is dangerous, think what that says about you.

Yawn....

Garcia, I understand your point. But instead of hanging on to your point and saying "No, I wont give" You can redirect it by providing the answer you have given now and also point us to books/novels (not manuals) about cave diving or diving or whatever is the topic of interest. It is good fun to read about things that one is going to try out. At least for me it increases my curiosity and appetite for that subject. Just like books, there is a thread for movies about diving. It is not that I will watch that movie and go dive. Please do give our tiny 300 gram brain some credit :)

Probably Thashin was wrong about asking manuals but you guys are experienced and I joined this forum so that I can learn something from you guys. At least redirect the energy we newbies show to somewhere useful instead of giving out sarcastic replies.

Garcia, I understand your point.
Are you talking to me? If so, my name is Marcia (not Garcia).

But instead of hanging on to your point and saying "No, I wont give" You can redirect it by providing the answer you have given now
I did do that, in posts #4 and #6.

and also point us to books/novels (not manuals) about cave diving or diving or whatever is the topic of interest.
But he asked specifically for manuals.

It is good fun to read about things that one is going to try out. At least for me it increases my curiosity and appetite for that subject. Just like books, there is a thread for movies about diving. It is not that I will watch that movie and go dive. Please do give our tiny 300 gram brain some credit :)
I agree that novels and movies about scuba diving do whet our appetite--many of us got our first glimpse when we were little kids watching a television programme called Sea Hunt, and of course there was The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau. But this is entirely different from asking specifically about manuals for aspects of diving that are as risky as cave diving and wreck diving, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Probably Thashin was wrong about asking manuals but you guys are experienced and I joined this forum so that I can learn something from you guys. At least redirect the energy we newbies show to somewhere useful instead of giving out sarcastic replies.
I believe I used a respectful tone in each of my replies, without even a hint of sarcasm, so I wonder where this comment to me (if you think I'm Garcia) is coming from.

-- I know you are Garcia and were not sarcastic! Some of the other replies were. It was directed in general to everyone who said no. Apologies if it came across as pointing finger at you.

-- He asked for manual but that does not stop you/other experts from giving out names of books and making it an implicit no instead of accusing the OP as one after saving money or whatever.

Anyways, manuals is not what I am after here. Enjoying other posts and information and moved on :)

-- I know you are Garcia...

:huh:
06.gif
06.gif
I am called Marcia.
But anyway....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom