Free-diving student blacks out training - Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A natatorium is a facility for swimming sports.

It is possible to blackout from breath holding in a swimming pool. Lifeguards are trained, supposedly, to recognize this. As a guard one of my two pool rescues was a black out by a fellow who was breath holding and swimming repeatedly the length of the pool. And then I noticed him sort of wander and then he was just floating face down.

And yes, if water hits the larynx (or as in my case gets aspirated into the lungs) it will close up and at which point you are and in this case me, was in a heap o'trouble, just saying.

:rofl3: Back when our Nat was still around and I swam there, I once got "rescued" when I floated face up, relaxed, at the end of a workout... the guard and I had a good laugh about it.

I discovered that my risk tolerance was not suited to freediving as a regular activity, but I did learn a lot in the class.
Same for me. After my second blackout and a "nice" pre-death experience I gave up on free diving.
I tought that at the third one my life could very probably end.
On the other side, it was useful, as now I know what's happening when you die. Nothing scaring...

Perhaps, but I can’t imagine it’s good for you either? To each their own, but way too risky to push well beyond your body’s inbuilt safety/warning systems for me.
You do not get the point. When I did blackout, I wasn't beyound my body's warning system.
I had no warning, even the second time.
The better the training, the smaller is the chance you get any signal from your body.

You do not get the point. When I did blackout, I wasn't beyound my body's warning system.
I had no warning, even the second time.
The better the training, the smaller is the chance you get any signal from your body.
I get it - but what you seem to be saying is even worse? It sounds like you are saying that you trained out your body’s inbuilt safety/warning system?

Can a mod please remove the post that says it’s hard to blackout in a pool. That varies so much from person to person and is really unsafe to leave up imo.

Real interesting to hear about 1 min max. Anecdotally that’s my comfort limit, I had no idea it was a thing. I also limit myself to 15m to mitigate the risk of shallow water blackout.

I find claims like these difficult to believe, but Winslet claims that the held her breath underwater for over 7 minutes.
7 minutes would be exceptional for a trained athlete. However, if they breathe up on pure oxygen, it can significantly extend breathholds. I've never done it, but I think the world record is over 20 minutes or something absolutely insane.

I get it - but what you seem to be saying is even worse? It sounds like you are saying that you trained out your body’s inbuilt safety/warning system?
Nah, everyone has a different co2 tolerance. Some people will blackout before they have the urge to breathe

The other side of the medal is that with the snorkel in your mouth your airways remain open, and if you surface with the head tilted back you drown. Most of spearfisherman that drown are found with the snorkel in their mouth. Of course if you don't ascend vertically this becomes less of a problem, but that way you are not ascending directly and you are using more o2 as your muscles have to work against the drag of the water too.
Just as a side not, why do the static on the bottom?
You ascend vertically, exhale a little just a couple of feet from the surface, and slip gently into a resting position. You don't have to have your head breach the surface. It is a decades-old technique. Static on the bottom was because it's fun to just be still and experience the experience of breath-hold diving.

Freediving was mostly about spearfishing and hunting abalone. Today, it's mostly about numbers and social media. Science says cut breath-hold times. The sport and the participants say screw that.

You ascend vertically, exhale a little just a couple of feet from the surface, and slip gently into a resting position. You don't have to have your head breach the surface. It is a decades-old technique. Static on the bottom was because it's fun to just be still and experience the experience of breath-hold diving.

Freediving was mostly about spearfishing and hunting abalone. Today, it's mostly about numbers and social media. Science says cut breath-hold times. The sport and the participants say screw that.
Some would say scuba diving was mostly about spearfishing and catching stuff and now all it is about is how horizontal you are when you are motionless and how little air and lead you use. 😆

Back
Top Bottom