Freediving class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
I "think" I might be interested in a freediving course, but I'm ignorant of what it really entails. Could those who have taken such a class post some details. I'd be interested to read what you learned, what was covered, expectations, how it influenced your diving, costs, length, etc. If anyone can link to class reports as well, that'd be helpful. Thanks!

performancefreediving.com
$700
Four days
Lecture, pool, ocean
Safety emphasized
Be sure you can clear without using diaphram or you'll miss out on a big part of class - as valsalva is hard to do with half-empty (surface supplied air that reduces at depth) lungs
Great teachers
Tons of good info

I also took Performance Freediving's (Performance Freediving | home |) Intermediate Free Diving course (same on the TropicalDiver described). It was a great course, but went very fast. You're always building on what you just learned and there is not a lot of time for review.

First day 2/3 in classroom, 1/3 in pool doing static breath holds and safety skills.
Second day 1/4 in classroom, 1/4 in pool doing more statics and other technique practice, 1/2 in open water using what you learned going progressively deeper with each dive.
Third day 1/2 in classroom, half in open water going deeper and deeper.
Fourth day 2/3 in open water and 1/3 classroom wrap up.

I had some issues that limited my ability in the open water. I had some ear clearing issues and for the first two days in the water couldn't go deeper than about 35 feet. It helped when I put some vents in my wet suit hood and took some decongestants, but it wasn't really until the last day that I was able to get any depth. If you use a free diving wet suit make sure you have vents in the hood. Even so, I still learned a lot and had a great time. Regardless if you've haven't done much freediving before, if you can hold your breath for at least a minute and can make it down to about 30 feet, take the intermediate, not advanced. You'll get a lot more out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom