Freediving Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a pair of Beauchat (sp?) long fins for about a year and use them a lot. So far they haven't broken, but I don't know how they compare to other brands. I've gotten so used to them that I use them for scuba now too.

I love them. Got a pair of the full foot Riffe fins and took them out to Hawaii a week ago. Highly recommend them

Thats nice that your telling everyone that you have tried the riffe fins seeing as they arent out yet. i would like to know how you were magically able to get a pair when those of us in the dive industry dont have them yet.

Hi All,
The big differences in freediving fins, aside from design, is materials. The Omer Milleniums are a plastic fin. They have a limited lifespan before they become too flexible and brittle, and they aren't much use below 75ft. I took a pair to 140ft and almost didn't get back - way too much kick for the fin. At the same time, for snorkeling/spearing/shallower freedives to 25meters they work just fine. They can take a beating on rocks and are fairly inexpensive as fins go. A great starter fin, I started with them myself, as have my son and girlfriend... You can find a good deal on several Omer full packages at www.spearfishinggear.com click on "packages" in the left menu....$200 for Milleniums, booties, snorkel and Omer Alien mask (a great mask, FYI).

What is really great about them is the footpockets because they will accept the next set of blades you buy to upgrade...

The other materials are fiberglass and Carbon fiber. The best all around performance comes from Carbon Fiber fins. You have to take care of them, keep them out of the sun, etc... but they do perform. And the great thing is that you can buy the blades separately from the footpockets so that if you already have Omer footpockets you like and you want a pair of C4 Carbon Fiber Blades, just buy em and put them on your footpockets....

So Carbon Fiber blades are great, see www.specialfins.com for top of the line examples. I have a pair of the Carbon Fiber Pro Stereo Fins and they are the right tool for the job. The service was exceptional as well. Who would have thought that the best freediving fins in the world would come from Estonia? Ask for Jyri, tell him Ted Roe sent cha...

A good mid-range fin is the Spetton C4 Carbon Fiber blade and if you want the composite plastic fin, try looking at the Cressi Gara line (they do not have interchangeable blades and pockets). The Cressi fins have made world record dives as have the C4s.

The last consideration and an important one is the stiffness of the blade. Most swimmers can benefit from the intermediate stiffness, and with Carbon Fiber blades, the stiffest is still manageable but its ok to go intermediate and build up...

Hope this helps..

Lungfish

Gotta say, the Cressi Gara 3000's are great. Soft pocket, stiff blade, good power transfer. But as with so many other pieces of equipment, find what fits YOU.

Oh, anyone out there know who makes a small size for women? My wife is having a bear of a time finding some good longfins to fit. Size 3-4?

lungfish:
Hi All,
The big differences in freediving fins, aside from design, is materials. The Omer Milleniums are a plastic fin. They have a limited lifespan before they become too flexible and brittle, and they aren't much use below 75ft. I took a pair to 140ft and almost didn't get back - way too much kick for the fin. At the same time, for snorkeling/spearing/shallower freedives to 25meters they work just fine. They can take a beating on rocks and are fairly inexpensive as fins go. A great starter fin, I started with them myself, as have my son and girlfriend... You can find a good deal on several Omer full packages at www.spearfishinggear.com click on "packages" in the left menu....$200 for Milleniums, booties, snorkel and Omer Alien mask (a great mask, FYI).

What is really great about them is the footpockets because they will accept the next set of blades you buy to upgrade...

The other materials are fiberglass and Carbon fiber. The best all around performance comes from Carbon Fiber fins. You have to take care of them, keep them out of the sun, etc... but they do perform. And the great thing is that you can buy the blades separately from the footpockets so that if you already have Omer footpockets you like and you want a pair of C4 Carbon Fiber Blades, just buy em and put them on your footpockets....

So Carbon Fiber blades are great, see www.specialfins.com for top of the line examples. I have a pair of the Carbon Fiber Pro Stereo Fins and they are the right tool for the job. The service was exceptional as well. Who would have thought that the best freediving fins in the world would come from Estonia? Ask for Jyri, tell him Ted Roe sent cha...

A good mid-range fin is the Spetton C4 Carbon Fiber blade and if you want the composite plastic fin, try looking at the Cressi Gara line (they do not have interchangeable blades and pockets). The Cressi fins have made world record dives as have the C4s.

The last consideration and an important one is the stiffness of the blade. Most swimmers can benefit from the intermediate stiffness, and with Carbon Fiber blades, the stiffest is still manageable but its ok to go intermediate and build up...

Hope this helps..

Lungfish
Hey Lungfish, thanks for the insight on the fins. I do have a pair of C4's and love them!

Same question. but who makes them with a large foot pocket size 15.
HAHA I know i dont need em with feet of this size but im serious.

Hmmm, I would contact Omer directly with your shoe size and see what they have to tell you. You might be limited to "open heel" fins. Not a worse case situation, just a different kind of fin.
Lungfish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom