Freedom Plates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sooner or later somebody will realize that this is just a bald faced, ham handed attempt to get a certain artist to knock out a few more FP's for those who truly appreciate them...

But for now:

QUESTION. I managed to wrangle a gorgeous prototype FP from a certain E.S. His suggestion was to just dive it as is. Did that, fell in love. Now she says that she needs a bit of cosmetic surgery. TIG, argon, but you know all that...

Eric: Do I use Weldcote 316/316L or Lincoln 308/308L?

[-]I'm going[/-] I've gone with chloride resistant marine grade fill rod. Most of the pits and blemishes are filled in here. Have to clean up the outline of the cutout and blend the center rod in a bit better. I'm thinking that a random orbital satin finish will be nice when I'm done. Realize that this is one of Eric's prototypes that I managed to buy from him. Looks like it was re-purposed at least twice. Bought it "rough". Would love to hear the story behind her...

The 3/8" round stock in the middle of the cutout is wonderful. I can get in/out of this rig without fussing.

Loving this work. This isn't a "production water-jet, four bend, rough finish and ship" back-plate.

If you haven't ever held a Freedom Plate against your own back, marveled at the graceful and complex bends and actually dove one, you are just missing something.

Zen.

FP Waist.jpg

That was the very first plate out of the first laser cut production run (I had a place laser cut flat stock with outer shape and all slots...much easier and cost effective). It is production #10 since the first 9 were all 100% hand cut and hand made that I set up with harnesses and wings as beach test units. Anybody who was interested could show up to a scheduled test dive event and try one. Eventually they all found homes so I could finance more runs of plates.
That design you have was built around the first style Oxycheq wing which was wider and bigger than the current Mach V series. Then they quit making the old Signature and Razor series and went exclusively to the Mach V. I had to change the entire design to accommodate the wing since it seemed to be the number one single tank wing at the time, it may not be anymore? I don't know.
That's when #10 got a refit and change. There were originally slots above where the top slots are now, plus at the time I was trying out an idea of cutting big rectangular holes and welding a rail on so that the cam strap would recess down a bit. It was also an attempt to speed up production times. The waist slots were originally just cut out like other plates although at different angles to try and make the straps follow a more natural angle. I was also at the time trying something new with waist slots by cutting out the center and welding in a bar to make it a slider. It was also an attempt at less production time. Rounding over and smoothing narrow 1/4" slots from a razor sharp laser cut takes a lot of time and patience, The larger the access the easier it is, hence large square holes...but then there's welding...so it's a toss.

Anyway, that plate you have was refit a few times but I never intended to sell it. I used it for a few years before I came up with the new Contour series so then that took over. I always made a point of wearing my own latest and greatest so people would see them.

Old No. #10 is made out of 304 so you can use 316 316L or 308 filler rod, I don't think it'll matter much. I don't think the metals are dissimilar enough to matter. It's not going to live in salt water 24/7

They are gorgeous aren't they? The HOG wings fit them like they were made for them. I'd sell my DSS plates (2) pretty quick for the right price. The Freedom? Nah. When not diving sidemount it's my go BC. With or without a wing using al80's and my horse collar and no BC.
20151215_105943[1].jpg20151215_110037[1].jpg

We're supposed to be in for one wet sumbich this winter, so that means I'll be shop bound for weeks/months on end and in need of generating funds. The boat yard will pretty much be shut down even though I have about two years worth of work booked up, but useless if I can't get to it.
If there's one thing I've learned in my time is when it comes to business opportunities nothing is ever off the table.

We're supposed to be in for one wet sumbich this winter
:D

If there's one thing I've learned in my time is when it comes to business opportunities nothing is ever off the table.
I love it. Freedom Plates are a dynamic living thing. If you find someone diving one, you can't help but run over and see what theirs looks like. Chances are good that it won't be the same as yours.

Absolutely thrilled to hear that you are getting back into it. I KNOW you've been thinking. There will be changes.

I can't wait to see what they are. No, I'm not posturing to get another one. I have mine. This is a very limited resource and fair is fair.

Let's hope we do get that expected weather. We certainly need it.

I am definitely in if you make some more!

Eric, I just missed out on your 2013 Freedom Contour run. If you have a waiting list for another run, I'd like to be on it.

Dish

Eric: Put my son's name on one of them. He'll be getting certified next year and will need some awesome gear.

Looks like you have already sold 3! :D

Jim. Love the red webbing. May have to give that I try next time.

Back
Top Bottom