Freedom Plates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric,

I just want to reinforce how much some of us value Freedom Plates.

Old #10 just got a camo Mach V wing from a bud in San Diego. Unlike some divisionists, I'm all about both coasts appreciating each other. It may have "all started here" (LA) but now it is all about local divers.

Don't kill yourself in the process, but please continue to feed your followers.

-Best.

I would absolutely love one. Probably another for my son as well.

Hi Eric, do you have a website showing the two products (Standard and Contour) by themselves and with different wing products? A free site on wordpress.com or equivalent platform would do the trick. If you created your own domain name freedomplate.com it would be fully discoverable and searchable and you could link to it from this forum and others.

After several conversations with Eric, I understand that tech support on really basic stuff has been an issue. Would anyone with the talent and skills be willing to produce an assembly video for him? I would be happy to draft some written guides. They could be posted on YouTube and here if his Freedom Plate Web site isn't ready for prime time.

Edit: Here is one that is available: For Sale - Qxycheq wing and Freedom Plate backplate for single tank

Last edited:
@Akimbo,

A video would be great, but Eric's own words should be enough for any lucky owner of a Freedom Plate. I asked for a short description of how to web one:

Sure it's easy.
First, get a length of 2" webbing at least 10' long, you might want to go 11' or even 12' depending on your size.

Second, fold the webbing in half and through the front of the plate, put one end through the bottom slot and the other through the middle slot, this is on the top portion of the plate. Then evenly pull both ends until the webbing is pulled through and tight. Then take both ends and run them through the top slot from back out through the front. When you get it pulled tight you can pull the ends out sideways so they are spread out forming a "V". Just make sure the straps come out of the top slot on the front side.

For the side waist slots, the one coming down from your shoulders should go into the inside slot from the front, wrap around that little welded on bar around the back, and come out the outside slot. You can place a keeper on the webbing on the back in between the two slots if you want it "locked up", or you can leave it out so it slides and remains adjustable.

Then, you can place D-rings where ever you want. Some people put one on the front of each shoulder, just make sure you do this before you lace up the side slots.

That plate was modified to work with a Mach V wing, that's why it has the welded on rail. The old cam slots on the top of the plate were welded up and the lower outside cam slots are original.

It had a little stand-off bracket at the base which was removed. I had to do some heavy mods to retrofit it for the Mach V.

Then to use the wing you simply sandwich the wing between the plate and tank and everything is secure when you cinch it up.

Hope all this helps and is clear.

Thanks

Eric

... A video would be great, but Eric's own words should be enough for any lucky owner of a Freedom Plate...

"Should" is the operative word. Apparently it is not for a lot of divers who are inexperienced with backplates and wings.

Edit: I never realized how difficult communicating something that was simple to me would be difficult for divers with different backgrounds until helping to develop these instructions:
Cam Buckle Assembly Instructions

We finally realized that it could never be perfect for everyone so making an editable version available was the only solution we could find.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom