Frequency of advanced divers practicing CESAs ? [Poll]

Approximately how often have you practiced doing CESAs up till now ?

• Never.

Votes: 121 75.2%
  • A few times.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • About once every 5-10 years.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • About once every 2-4 years.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • About once a year.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • About once every 5-6 months

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • About once every 3-4 months.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • About once every 1-2 months.

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • More often then once a month.

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question that may be relevant to the CESA being more dangerous than a normal ascent at the same rate: If you are not breathing in are you actually off gassing?
Wow, don't know that anyone could answer that.

An added complication is that it takes about one minute for our blood to make one cycle through our bodies.

Wow, don't know that anyone could answer that.

I have seen a few threads and have asked the same question - The Answer is yes you are off gassing.

Skip breathing, slowly breathing and hyper hyperventilating have very little to do with off gassing. It all has to do with pressure not the amount of breaths taken.

A good book is Deco for Divers - Mark Powell - he explains it WAY Better than I can.

I have seen a few threads and have asked the same question - The Answer is yes you are off gassing.
Yeah, maybe.

Speaking in broad terms, we inhale 21% and exhale 18%. One minute full cycle. (http://users.rowan.edu/~farrell/hohb/Respiration Module/Respiration Handout.pdf)

I believe that the real answer lies in a differential equation that I don't even want to think about.

Bring O2. You can't possibly do better than that. It is no longer academic. It is the real world best that can possibly be done.

A few thoughts
"Practice does not make perfect -- Perfect practice makes perfect"

"Perfect Practice under controlled conditions that which is needed to be preformed Perfectly under emergency conditions "

@lowviz

YouR PROFILE indicates you are ACUC certified aka American Canadian Underwater Certification aka ACUC. It was listed as your first certification
Bob Cronkwright was the founder and long term director of ACUC . Bob and I I were friends and I assisted him in establishing his Canadian program. He incorporated a number of LA Co activities and requirements in to the program

So you are or not ACUC certified ?

I agree and it is certainly recognized there are pronounced differences in knowledge, attitude and skill levels with in the US diving communities

Recreational diving began in the west in the 1930s and slowly migrated to the east via Sears, Wards and Pennys mail order catalogs from 1956 to 1974- some were in that time period dive shops were slowly established as a economic activity and to serve the infant diving communities emerging in hinterlands of the US. So much of the attitudes and rich history of recreational diving was forgotten or discarded during that migration.

SDM

A bit more.

Yes, I listed it first as it is (in my heart) my best certification along with my kindergarten diploma. I play well in the sandbox.

We really need to move on...

... Trim and buoyancy need to be one of the first skills introduced and then all the other skills are done while being neutrally horizontal. ...

Amen. First taught & first perfected, then move on.

If you're taught right, it doesn't really take that much time. Many instructors hope that you'll figure a lot of this trim and buoyancy stuff out on your own. They don't really understand the physics that govern trim and buoyancy, so they don't (can't?) teach it. All skills are important and trim/buoyancy is every bit as important as being able to find your reg. In fact, proper trim makes it so, so, so much easier to teach and do this skill. Trim and buoyancy need to be one of the first skills introduced and then all the other skills are done while being neutrally horizontal. I remember the divers of the sixties, seventies, eighties and nineties. Their trim and buoyancy also sucked. It did. The guy who sold me my first pair of Jets in 1969, told me I could kick the crap out of the reef and not hurt the fin. Yah. Rly.

Hi Pete,

I agree with Kharon, for the most part.

As I read Kharon's post he is talking about having a matrix for vastly different diving conditions and gear. I have the same problem. To have good trim and weighting with all of the different configurations of wet suit and tanks, I too created an excel matrix to keep track of the different trim and weight placement scenarios.

As you have stated, being taught proper trim, weighting, and swimming attitude (horizontal verses vertical, or angled) is critical and not that difficult.

Figuring out proper trim and weighting for cold salt water today, slightly warm fresh water tomorrow, and tropical conditions a week later is a little different. Throw in steel tanks at home and AL tanks on trips and things start to become complicated.

thanks,
markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom