Frog Kick Fin Preference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As many already said, you can do it with almost any fin, but to do it eficiently, I don`t change my Jet fins for any other. I think they basically have 2 advantages that make them better suited not only for frog kick, but for manuevering as well.

The first is the stiff paddle, preventing it from bending too much, loosing eficiency, the second is that it is wider than most fins, what makes easier to manuever, specially turns like the helicopter, when you need to turn without changing your axe. Also, back swimming with stiffer and wider fins is easier.

I can do the frog kick in ANY fin I own. I own Apollo Biofins (split), and force fins (paddle) to name a couple.

The only kick I have issues with in split fins is backing up (reverse frog).

There are a LOT of Jetfin advocates on the board. There is nothing wrong with Jetfins, or a jet fin style, but a LOT of folk have issues with fit, and cramping with those fins. For the majority of the divers out there, for better or worst, split fins work well.

If you are considering technical pursuits, you likely want to look into a good paddle fin. This is likely more due to the constraints put on students by teachers vs. anything else.

I was surprised when I watched "IMAX Coral Reef Adventure", that the entire expedition was using SP Twin Jets... They swam a 300lbs camera into some serious current, so that says something about splits.

I was surprised when I watched "IMAX Coral Reef Adventure", that the entire expedition was using SP Twin Jets... They swam a 300lbs camera into some serious current, so that says something about splits.

Were they frog kicking?

Responding to a couple of points....

I am guessing that the Mares comment referred to the Volo model, which is designed to flex in the middle and definitely will fold. The quattro's, on the other hand, are extremely stiff. I was recently on a trip where I used Volo's exclusively while diving in current (Cozumel). I frog kicked most of the time, and they felt "different" from what I am used to in a paddle fin. I definitely felt they were more efficient when I flutter kicked with them. I had trouble back finning with them, but the currents could have been an issue.

Ron mentioned fit problems with Jets.

No kidding!

I have size 10 1/2 feet, a very common size for men. When I got into dry suit diving, I bought size 11 rock boots to accomodate socks and the suit. Unfortunately, Jets do not come in an appropriate size. The XL's are too small, and the XXL's are too large. I ended up buying Turtles instead (which are similar). I am now having second thoughts about the rock boots, and I am thinking of using a size 11 wet suit bootie instead. If I do that, I will be able to squeeze into Jet XLs, and I will have to, because the Turtles will be too big. (Very frustrating.) I don't know why ScubaPro can't make something for Jets between the XL and the XXL for people with such a common foot size.

BTW, I prefer frog kicking with the Turtles to the Volos.

I own and occasionally use jets...
But...
My favorite fin for the frog kick is.... the Frog!
:D
(no kidding)
Rick

Are you talking about Cressi?

Are you talking about Cressi?
Yep... that'd be the Frog...
frog5.jpg

The yellow stripe is to make it easier to identify whose fins you're looking at under water :)
Rick

Last edited:
I agree the Scubapro had its collective heads up their collective orifices with Jet fin sizing. The XL has a narrow foot pocket that will cause cramps in many divers even in wet suit boots. The XXL however is large enough to store mostof your dive gear in it and is too large even for fairly large rock boots.

Consequently, I switched to OMS Slipstream fins. They are shaped like jet fins but are made of a monoprene material and are stiffer - but for the most part swim just like a Jet Fin wut with a slight edge in back kicking due to the slightly stiffer blade. The sizing makes more sense with wider foot pockets and an XXL size that falls squarely in the middle of he too small SP XL and the too large SP XXL. The only downside is that they do not have the last forever while looking good wear traits of the neoprene rubber Jet Fin.

Also, if you dive doubles and a dry suit, the odds are good that you will find the medium sized (and small bladed) Jet Fin to be inadequate in terms of power. Over the years people have claimed there is no differnece in thrust between the small and large bladed Jets. That may be true for the average rec diver, but it is nto the case with the larger mass and drag of the average technical diver.

The same thing applies to split fins. I don't object to them with a single tank, but with doubles and a dry suit you wil go no where with most of them if you try to frog kick.

I have used the Plana Avanti and Plana Quattro fins - as well as the original Powr Plana fins and they all frog kick well and they have nicely proportioned foot pockets, but I still prefer a Jet Fin or OMS Slipstream for over all use.

Responding to a couple of points....

I am now having second thoughts about the rock boots, and I am thinking of using a size 11 wet suit bootie instead. If I do that, I will be able to squeeze into Jet XLs, and I will have to, because the Turtles will be too big. (Very frustrating.) I don't know why ScubaPro can't make something for Jets between the XL and the XXL for people with such a common foot size.

BTW, I prefer frog kicking with the Turtles to the Volos.

To reinforce your "second thoughts" about rocky boots, I had them (and also have a big problem to fit the fins), now I changed to turbo solos... fantastic, much better, rocky boots never again!! at least, instead of rocky boots, use a wetsuit boot, you will probably solve your problems to fit the fins, but definetly, I recommend leaving rocky boots before the "third tought"

About the Volos, also agree with you, I used them for about one year and frankly, not saying it is bad, probably some people like it and I respect their opinion, but for me they simply didn't work, frog kick was very ineficient, bend too much, when I got the Jetfins after one month I just gave the Volos away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom