frog kick = knee pain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easdem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone else get knee pain from the frog kick? Could my technique be off? Any ideas?

Flick your fins with your ankles.

Never had any type of pain from frog kicking. I think you should find a coach to help your technique. If that doesn't work, see an orthopedist.

This really is an impossible question to answer with the data available. Do you have knee pain with any other activities? Have you previously injured your knees? Are you old enough to have arthritic problems? What size and type of fins are you using?

And it would be helpful if you could get somebody to video your kick, so we could look at how you are doing it.

I would say it depends if it feels like muscle pain or bone/cartilidge pain.
Especially with newer divers, working muscles that haven't been used to that degree can get sore.
If it is something else, perhaps you damaged or stressed a joint tendon or worse. The knee pain could indicate some issues with technique. Be carefull and if is something other than muscle soreness, I would have it looked at so you don't injure it further and require some orthoscopic surgery

Yeah, I may have been too vague.

I do not usually suffer from knee pain, nor have I ever injured either of them. I Work out 4x a week. I just started incorporating 2 days in the pool for 500m and then 800m swim with fins. (I'm training for the DM 400m/800m swim...I set a personal goal to get 5 points on both)

After a dive, when conditions dictated most kicks to be frog kicks, I usually end up having pain on the inside of my right knee. It will last for a day or two and resolve after that.

I have been experimenting with the efficiency of kick style when I have been training, I have noticed the pain again when I "frog kick." I must be doing something wrong, I know video would help to critique and I will see what I can do to get one posted. I was hoping that someone on here had simmilar experiences and had some tips.

Thanks!!!

One thing about the kick is that when done correctly and efficiently it can give the diver some real speed. But that is not what it is for. For me anyway the nice easy kick and glide is about relaxing. trying to use it to improve times may be your problem. Putting too much power into the kick seems to actually decrease it's efficiency and just create more stress on the body. I look forward to dives that require a steady frog or modified frog. Those are the ones where I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere, no one to keep up with, and where the motion is more instinctual than anything else.

The frog kick is my favorite thing in the world on a dive. It has never caused knee pain, and I have some arthritis in my knees to start with. It's never my tendency to use it for speed, for what it's worth. If I have to make time, I always settle back into a good, strong butterfly kick, which I find harder on me, actually.

I hope you get it worked out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom