Question From SI TECH QCS OVAL to DRYGLOVES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elZub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear ALL.

ordered a drysuit with QCS OVAL Installed.

I read many post here and surfing on Web, but I Feel Puzzled.

From si tech there is antares (many user are not happy)

otherwise other system as ultima, rolock...

I don't understand where is the advantage to install QCS OVAL and after all.. use with another system,
why don't install direct a rolock or ultima or another brand or maybe the only way is to add before a sort of modular seal as this qcs oval?

yes i'm confused but I have time for learning.. before my drysuit is delivered :wink:

Options, with the oval rings you have many options. Antaries is an ok system, works fine if you use it right and easy with a low profile but if slightly misaligned the will leak, lock tabs can break but I’ve not seen it happen.

ultima is a very robust and secure system, can be a little tough to don and doff and mounting the glove to the ring is the stuff of legend! Bulkier than the Antaries but nothing to align when putting them on.

RoLock 90 is less bulky than the Ultima and very simple to use, my favorite.

Why not have them installed right away? Maybe it’s better to learn your drysuit first with wet gloves taking one extra learning curve out of the process.

There are other systems but these are the best for having the oval rings.

I don't understand where is the advantage to install QCS OVAL and after all.. use with another system,
why don't install direct a rolock or ultima or another brand or maybe the only way is to add before a sort of modular seal as this qcs oval?

First off, the QCS oval is a replaceable wrist seal system and makes seal replacement quite easy. As @lexvil points out, you can (and I have) dive them without any dry-glove system in place. It does not come with the ability to mount dry-gloves without additional components.

They are now probably as close to a "standard" suit side attachment that there is. The reason for using another (compared to the Si tech Antares) system is that the others seem to be better.

I like that it is still an oval and lower profile, but I found the SiT Antares to be a serious hassle to disconnect.

If you are set on an oval QCS-O dry-glove ring, there is the 4th Element Eclipse system: I tried to get them but it was taking too long as they were just being introduced. Zef's review: REVIEW: Fourth Element Ellipse Dryglove System

I went with the (round) Ultima system and am very happy with it overall. Mega thread (rainy day/night read with some very good information on gloves to use with the various systems): Ultima Dry Glove System question Zef's review of the new push-pull add-on: Review: Waterproof Ultima DGS Push-Pull System I use them with the Showa 720 gloves and the larger 341/70 glove-attachment O-rings which makes installng the gloves on the rings significantly easier: Ultima Dry Glove System question

If i hadn't already been using the Ultimas, I would probably use the Rolock 90s for the lower profile. lexvil's thread: Rolock 90

This is probably a good thread to check too: Which dry glove system is 'best'

Dear ALL.

ordered a drysuit with QCS OVAL Installed.

I read many post here and surfing on Web, but I Feel Puzzled.

From si tech there is antares (many user are not happy)

otherwise other system as ultima, rolock...

yes i'm confused but I have time for learning.. before my drysuit is delivered :wink:

It sounds (to me) like you're unsure of the different parts to a dry glove system? You have 3, the suit side ring (glued into the suit), the seal ring that clips into the suit (could be antares, UDG, Rolock, etc), then you have the glove ring which will mate up to whatever system you use.

The Si-tech PU ring will allow a lot of different systems to clip right in. It can be bought and installed separately. No reason to buy the anteres system (unless that's what you're after).

I honestly don't know if there's another manufacturer that makes something to be glued into the suit that would work

THANK YOU ALL!!!

i'm really new in this world... drysuit and drygloves, and you provide a lot of info.

now it is more clear, also today I've spoken with rolock and si tech.

what you wrote confirm what they told me.

as suggested by @lexvil i will learn first how to use my drysuit and only later i will get drygloves.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

i'm really new in this world... drysuit and drygloves, and you provide a lot of info.

now it is more clear, also today I've spoken with rolock and si tech.

what you wrote confirm what they told me.

as suggested by @lexvil i will learn first how to use my drysuit and only later i will get drygloves.

Depending on your water temps/dive length, you may want dry gloves sooner rather than later.

Depending on your water temps/dive length, you may want dry gloves sooner rather than later.

where I usually dive is 50 f° could be enough a K01 glove...but it cost a little bit more than half of rolock 90 price . :acclaim:

where I usually dive is 50 f° could be enough a K01 glove...but it cost a little bit more than half of rolock 90 price . :acclaim:

You don’t need to learn how to dive a drysuit before getting dry gloves. If you’ll be more comfortable with dry gloves, get them.

Remember the system price is only part of the cost, you’ll need gloves (pretty cheap) and liners, for short term if you have wet gloves just use those, as Marie says if you get cold hands (at 50° you likely will) you will end up with dry gloves and like a pee valve once you use it/them you’ll find not using it/them unthinkable.

Liners can probably be had pretty cheap. Thin fleece or wool gloves should work for 50F water.

Back
Top Bottom