Frustrated... Need Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypnodean

Registered
Reaction score
Ok.... So, New OW certification, and after 4 weeks I haven't been able to get in the water. Had plans to go to west palm 4 weeks in a row, but waves, weather, and then being sick all got in my way.

Was going to go this thursday, but ocean forecast saying waves may be rough again.... SO....

Any suggestions on Spring dives that are A- Not too far from Central Florida/ Orlando area. B- Appropriate for someone who does NOT cave dive. I will still have to track down a buddy to go with, but I am drying up. Need to get wet and get more practice.

Ideas? Suggestions? Wimper.... Whine....

Alexander and Blue Springs both come to mind for Orlando. Also, the springs around Gainesville are just about 2 hours from Orlando.

Don't worry about a buddy, I'm sure someone without 3 finals to study for will come along and want to go diving this weekend :)

Ben

My "weekend" is Thursday and Friday... Good for avoiding crowds... ALSO a challenge for finding buddies

Here's a spot that not many divers go to. You mentioned that you went to West Palm a few times and got blown out. Well, that happened to me on one trip and the shop suggested I try the pilings under the bridge to Singer Island. Park in the parking lot at Phil Foster Park and walk to the beach facing Peanut Island (that small island with the Coast Guard station that you pass when going out of Riviera Beach marina), and go to the last bridge before you get on Singer Island. Timing is everything on this dive. If you get there at low tide, visibility is horrible. If you get there when the tide is moving, you'll get cut up on the barnacles just trying to hang on. Time your entry for the last 15 minutes before high tide. Visibility can be as much as 50 feet under the bridge. Don't expect to see a lot of big critters, but if you look close, there is really a whole lot to see. You'll have about 45 minutes of diving before you feel the current starting to go back out. Try it sometime, I think you'll be surprised.:wink:

Royal Springs, Troy Springs are great for OW, and very cheap. For a more expensive dive, try Ginnie Springs, Blue Grotto or Devils Den.

You might also pick up a copy of "Guide to Underwater Florida." It is the most comprehensive book on florida springs.

I've been diving with Jupiter dive center and every time I've been out there they go diving even in not so perfect weather conditions! Really Really nice people!!! It's just north of West Palm if you haven't heard of it.

http://www.jupiterdivecenter.com/index.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom