Frustrated trying to get parts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seanrollins

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I worked for years teaching diving and working full time in multiple dive shops. I have always been able to service my equipment without issues (and lots of other peoples of course). No matter which brand reg. set I had, I could get parts and access to a bench to complete yearly servicing.

Like many diving pros, I ended up having to switch career paths in search of a better income. I'll agree that the new job is simply a great paying job instead of a lifestyle and passion! I've lost ties with local shops and thus lost access to parts. I have a full service bench at home (IP guage, ultrasonic cleaner, and tons of Peter-bilt specialty tools). That's my story for the past few years now.

Now I'm a private instructor contracting to two dive shops when I have spare time. I own nine reg sets which are all Scubapros and Aqualungs. I'm ready to sell all of them and buy DiveRite regs. Dive Rite parts can be ordered online without question. Acquiring parts kits for all other manufacturers is next to impossible locally. None of the dive shops will sell them (even to manufacturer certified regulator technicians like myself). There are kits available on EBay or from online stores (mainly in Europe) but I refuse to go that route because parts might not be legitimate manufacture parts. Manufacturers will only sell parts kits to their authorized dealers.

Whenever divers (and students) have asked me in the past about servicing their own regulators, I've always told them to get it done professionally. I can be quoted as saying "It's life support equipment and you don't want to take chances. Get your regulator set serviced by a certified technician."

Well, I'm that certified technician and yet I still can't get parts. There's a big problem with the dive industry when manufacturer certified techs cannot get parts. The industry has always been well protected - Dive Shops make obscene profits from sales alone, not to mention servicing. When a dive professional becomes victim, there's a big problem.

Dive Pros - Please PM me.

Thanks!

I worked for years teaching diving and working full time in multiple dive shops. I have always been able to service my equipment without issues (and lots of other peoples of course). No matter which brand reg. set I had, I could get parts and access to a bench to complete yearly servicing.

Like many diving pros, I ended up having to switch career paths in search of a better income. I'll agree that the new job is simply a great paying job instead of a lifestyle and passion! I've lost ties with local shops and thus lost access to parts. I have a full service bench at home (IP guage, ultrasonic cleaner, and tons of Peter-bilt specialty tools). That's my story for the past few years now.

Now I'm a private instructor contracting to two dive shops when I have spare time. I own nine reg sets which are all Scubapros and Aqualungs. I'm ready to sell all of them and buy DiveRite regs. Dive Rite parts can be ordered online without question. Acquiring parts kits for all other manufacturers is next to impossible locally. None of the dive shops will sell them (even to manufacturer certified regulator technicians like myself). There are kits available on EBay or from online stores (mainly in Europe) but I refuse to go that route because parts might not be legitimate manufacture parts. Manufacturers will only sell parts kits to their authorized dealers.

Whenever divers (and students) have asked me in the past about servicing their own regulators, I've always told them to get it done professionally. I can be quoted as saying "It's life support equipment and you don't want to take chances. Get your regulator set serviced by a certified technician."

Well, I'm that certified technician and yet I still can't get parts. There's a big problem with the dive industry when manufacturer certified techs cannot get parts. The industry has always been well protected - Dive Shops make obscene profits from sales alone, not to mention servicing. When a dive professional becomes victim, there's a big problem.

Dive Pros - Please PM me.

Thanks!

So, you pitched the BS about annual service, life support, and counterfeit products and now it is coming back and biting you in the ass.:rofl3:

Manufacturers and LDSs don't care if you are trained or not. In fact, being a trained tech just makes you more dangerous. The threat is not your killing yourself or someone else. Regulators are pretty simple and foolproof even to some of the fools how wield the large crescent wrench in a dive shop. The threat is you will go into business for yourself and , if you are good you may take away a big chunk of their business.

Now, what is it you think is wrong with kits on ebay and even kits from European sources (where consumer protection laws require they be available for sale)? I believe there are some aftermarket parts (seats and filters) that can be found for many regulators but they are not the genuine thing so you may not be interested.

I do understand your frustration and I too have considered switching to something like Dive Rite. But I am not sure that their policies that exist today will be continued tomorrow.

awap,

I agree 100%. I was careful with my wording to which you claim to be BS. Annual service is usually a dunk in the tank to check for leaks (every two years parts like HP seats etc are changed). I have personally come across many "equipment techs" in the industry that were certified by one manufacturer, yet they are working in a shop servicing all brands. I also agree that the threat is that you will go in to business for yourself thus taking away business for the LDS's.

My reason for posting this thread was simply... What about people that have worked in the industry and do know what they are doing? We get screwed. We cannot get legitimate parts for servicing our sets even if we are manufacturer certified techs. This issue was to my benefit when I was depending on the dive industry for a living, but what about now? I'll admit that before my career change (when diving became fun again) this was job security. Now it's just a real pain in the butt. If I was to walk in to a dive shop tomorrow and drop off all my reg sets, I would be facing a $1500+ bill for servicing! What for? Some o-rings, filters, and HP seats?

DiveRite parts are available today - maybe not tomorrow. I agree that DiveRite may soon rethink their parts availability. I really hope not.

In the mean time:
You mentioned that parts are easily available online. I'd like to know where I can obtain ScubaPro and Aqualung legit parts from?

Thanks.

So, you pitched the BS about annual service, life support, and counterfeit products and now it is coming back and biting you in the ass.

How has this come back to bite me in the ass? I'm simply requesting an honest modern industry discussion?

I am not a "dive professional", just somebody with a little mechanical ability and interest who got tired of "dive professionals" chargijng me fairly steep prices and screwing up my gear. I am still a little unclear why you think "dive professionals" deserve some special treatment from the scuba manufacturers.

I dive mostly older Scubapro regs. Over the years, I have found a number of sources of service kits, none completely reliable. Ebay is not like the corner store but if you plan and watch, you will find most of what you may need there typically at 100% to 150% of MSRP . But if you keep an eye on it, some real bargains will pop up from time to time (and some real ripoffs).

I also found that if you walk into every Scubapro dealer you come across, 9 out of 10 will refuse to sell parts. You need to go looking for the 10th guy. I'm old enough and my stash of parts and spares has grown enough where I'm pretty sure the stash is going to outlast me. Still, it pisses me off that I can not easily buy routine service parts and I'll probably continue working to break down the wall and make it easier for myself and others. On a whim, I decided to try making my own LP seats for unbalanced Scubapro regs. I was quite surprised at how easy it is and how well they work. Material cost of about $.01 per seat and a $7 tool. I'm working on aftermarket sourced for some HP seats and seats for the S-wing poppet. And you already know that o-rings are not a problem. If you are interested, I'll let you know how it turns out.

What exactly is it that you are looking for? What kind of regulators do you have exactly? I too am a certified technician and currently affiliated with a shop. I do most of the work independently in the privacy of my own garage with a substantial investment in my own compressor, test bench/filling station, and just about every tool that Scuba Tools and some other manufacturer specific tools. A majority of the annual service parts are orings which can be purchased from many suppliers provided you have the appropriate tools to tell you size and hardness rating (70 OR 90 Shore). There are posts here from other folks (regulars) who have given out information on where to find parts, make them (lp seats), and all kinds of other good tidbits. Suggest you do some searching within these forums. You will be surprised at what you will find.

Awap, I am mosty definitely interested in all of your DIY endeavors. Unlike you and many others here, I don't have a problem getting parts because of my affiliations and connections. I having been a Seabee and mechanic am always interested in all things mechanical and have had to embark upon many a "Macgyver" temporary fix, making/fabricating parts, gaskets, etc. Keep me in the loop and let me know if there is any investment required.

Welcome to the brotherhood! I am sure you will find many supporters here and a lot of excellent information. Like yourself I have become an sort of outlaw since I don't work for a store owner (in the USA) any more. I am a certified tech for a couple brands, bit it doesn't mean much now. The folks here have been very helpful and I learned a lot from them. I am also lucky to have found the "10th store" that supplies me with original parts from a major brand. There are also a few good guys with online stores that support us as well as excellent literature by Vance Harlow and Pete Wolfinger. Lately I have been exploring the concept of using generic parts and making my own seats. Anyhow, I am now a happy DIY-er and sleep well at night knowing that my regs have been serviced and tuned to perfection. As the saying goes "Yeah, it's life support, which is why I service it myself!" :D

The problem with buying parts on e-bay is the quality of the components. Scubapro regulators have some specialty o-rings that you cannot get anywhere else but in a Scubapro repair kit. The last time I bought scubapro repair kits on e-bay, every o-ring was so old it fell to pieces as soon as I took it out of the bag. I agree with the OP, it is hard to get parts for some gear. And yes, I am also a trained technician and have the tools needed to do all of the work on my gear. The last time I needed my equipment overhauled, I took it to the LDS. I still had to adjust my Air II. Most technicians can't do it right.

The specialty O ring thing is is mostly urban legend. Other than maybe in the aerospace industry are things designed with specially sized and formulated materials, too expensive for consumer items. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) and ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) provide the standards from which almost all designs are started and implemented.
Every manufacturer says their parts are the only correct ones and in some cases they are but when it comes to parts such as O rings, seals, bearings and other parts common to all forms of mechanical devices they are common standard off the shelf items, just takes a bit of looking to find some of them.
About the only case of not being able to find something is if the standard had become obsolete years ago and the item that was designed to it is no longer manufactured.

Back
Top Bottom