Frustrated trying to get parts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What exactly is it that you are looking for? What kind of regulators do you have exactly? I too am a certified technician and currently affiliated with a shop. I do most of the work independently in the privacy of my own garage with a substantial investment in my own compressor, test bench/filling station, and just about every tool that Scuba Tools and some other manufacturer specific tools...

Right now I'm looking for a couple maintenance kits for ScubaPro MK25AFs. They're my primary sets on my doubles rig. The rest of my regs are Aqualung and getting parts for those is easier (but definitely not easy).

I realize that o-rings are easy to get. I buy all my tank/valve orings from Good-All which is a local store that only sells o-rings (same place I used to get them for the dive shop I worked at - so I know the part numbers). I'm not willing to take chances comparing regulator o-rings to sizing charts and hoping one that looks the same truly is the same. That's not worth the risk. That, along with the fact that you also need other proprietary parts like seats, is why we're all having this issue.

LDSs and Manufacturers should realize that this is a big issue. Instructors/DMs aren't going to go out and recommend to students that they should purchase DiveRite regs because you can service them yourself. No experienced diver would ever suggest to another diver that they should service their life line unless they have the ability/training to do so. The capable and manufacturer trained divers should still have access to parts.

To the non-professional, but equally experienced and avid divers who have replied to this thread - I keep saying pro but I honestly don't mean to imply that you need to be an agency certified professional to service a reg set. Any diver (professional or recreational) has the option to attend a manufacturer service course. Most of the time the local dive shop wont offer courses unless you are an employee or contractor for the shop. That doesn't stop someone from contacting the manufacturer and seeing when their next servicing course will be in a certain area.

The big issue I'm presenting is that even manufacturer certified technicians cannot get parts. Manufacturers only sell to their approved retailers.

I realize they only sell parts to their retailers to protect that retailers ability to make money with servicing. I take this statement differently though - I feel that by refusing to sell me parts kits, these manufacturers are telling me that I'm not capable of servicing my own equipment. Shouldn't the owners of all of the regs I've serviced know that the manufacturer now considers my training&previous work to be untrustworthy? Not saying I would consider doing that - But what if somebody did? I suppose all it would accomplish is more business for the LDSs.

I have been able to identify and find aftermarket o-rings for all my Scubapro regs: Mk2, Mk5, Mk7, Mk10, Mk20 and 108, 109, 156, D300/350/400, G500, S600, R190, R295. The 2nd stage balance chamber o-rings took some searching but HenrikBP found a source.

At this point, the only thing that might make me want to attend a Scubapro service course would be if they would sell me parts. Do you think the instructor could tell me about servicing my Mk7s or even my D-series regs?

I realize that o-rings are easy to get. I buy all my tank/valve orings from Good-All which is a local store that only sells o-rings (same place I used to get them for the dive shop I worked at - so I know the part numbers). I'm not willing to take chances comparing regulator o-rings to sizing charts and hoping one that looks the same truly is the same. That's not worth the risk.

What risk?

Are you serious that your Scubapro shop used aftermarket o-rings purchased from a local supplier rather than o-rings provided by Scubapro? :confused:

awap, I am very interested in getting a copy of your scubapro o-rings to standard o-rings chart.

awap, I am very interested in getting a copy of your scubapro o-rings to standard o-rings chart.

Problem is that I have it spread out in poorly organized notes. I'll have to take some time to clean it up. In the mean time, is there any specific application I might try to help with?

I am not doing any of these regs right now, but I have the feeling that this will be very useful to many.

awap:
I started doing something similar. OK if I post it and you cross-check it? Any legal issues?

awap:
I started doing something similar. OK if I post it and you cross-check it? Any legal issues?

Sure. I'm still trying to figure out where and how best to do this. I guess a separate thread and then figure out how to clean up the information later. I'll get it started.

Actually, now that think about it more the regs which interest me the most are MK2/5, R109, and Rx9x.

I am thinking of matching the O-rings on a few other brands and posting them once you folks put up the table. What is the best approach to go about exactly matching o-rings?

Currently, I have MK2, 5, 10, 10+, 20, 25, and R109, G250, and AIR2, the stuff I own.
The format I'm using is: SP#, 2-, ID, CS.
What I have in mind is to add columns with the devices, and corresponding ticks in the table.
Now how do I insert a table in here? My HTML is very rusty...:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom