Ft. Lauderdale 11/12 The Sea Empress AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vayu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I chose to enter the water on that night. Despite several warning signs I failed to recognize a situation that would slowly turn for the worse. The first of these signs occurred when the charter boat sped through the inter-coastal waterway (I believe there is a no wake zone in these areas due to their association with manatees). At sea, we were reminded of the last minute change of our dive plan. Instead of diving 30' water near shore on the copenhagen, our night diving introduction was also to be 75' deep dive on a wreck and with a substantial current over a mile from shore. Despite the predictions the seas appeared to be larger than 7' on average.
During the briefing, dive-master candidates spoke of the wildlife we may see and this concluded the briefing. As an afterthought it was mentioned that in our group of 6, the first person to hit 1800 would notify instructors and the group (now a team instead of true buddy pairs) would ascend as one. I do not expect to be hand held, so I worked the tables out with my buddy and wrote down several contingency depths on a slate. We hit the water and began to descend.
The seas were choppy and several staff and students became sick, but we followed them down. I do not like the idea of 'follow and trust the leader' dives but chose to trust the staff despite their condition. I consume air at a high rate and notified staff before the dive. Luckily my buddy has a very similar air consumption rate and we knew that we would generally be in the same condition regarding the pressure in our tanks. The entire team descended to 68 *to 74 feet. We hit 1800 at about 12 minutes. I grabbed the senior instructor and showed him my gauge. He gave me the OK signal which I returned. He pointed to my right and indicated to keep swimming. I checked my buddy and we decided to follow the instructors. Buddy notified one of the two instructors of his pressure and I assume he got the same signals so we kept swimming.
At 1500 PSI, I notified the new female instructor. She gave me 'Ok' signal and I gave her 'turn around' and 'up' signal. She did not return signals and told me to keep swimming and pointed to my right. Buddy did same with an instructor shortly after since he was consuming air slightly less than I was. At this point I felt a sense of impending doom but decided to trust instructors and notified them I now had 1400 PSI. A light hit me in the eye and I turned to locate my buddy. I located my buddy and noticed the instructors swimming aggressively away from us. We lost them in the low visibility and tried to catch up. We caught up and I notified senior instructor that I had 1200 psi by using hand signals and after receiving ok I shined my light on my gauges to show him. I gave the 'up' signal and instead of returning it he began to talk to me through the regulator. Buddy notified the same instructor of his pressure using hand signals and instructor told him to calm down by talking through his regulator and moving his hands around (I am not familiar with this hand signal, but none was made to me anyway). At this point, no one was giving any OK signals or ascent signals. At 1000 PSI, the group began an ascent without notification. I continued to follow and notify instructors of my pressure at every drop in 100 PSI and I received OK signals indicating they understood. We hit safety stop and my chest began to hurt. I had 700 PSI and we stopped at 25'. then slowly came to 20'. I signaled UP to female instructor but she kept looking at the computer and shaking her head. She suggested I take her regulator when I hit 200 PSI and I signaled OK and we did this very thing. At this point I was not comfortable but decided that this would be the best option since buddy would be useless for buddy breathing.
At this point I believe we surfaced. I have no recollection of the ascent from 20' but I imagine it was an extremely quick ascent. I was in a roman handshake with female instructor and suddenly found myself above water. *There was no sign of the boat and I told everyone I had chest pain.
I asked where the boat was and senior instructor pointed to the boat approximately 300 yards away and said 'Lets swim'. The boat was very far away and it became evident that we had been blown off the wreck by the current and also by aggressively swimming away from the place of our descent. Apparently the pointing signals instructors had used at depth indicated "Instead of ascending, lets swim aggressively away from the boat" . On the surface, I said "Please signal the boat" and senior instructor said "LETS ALL SWIM". I yelled "Someone please signal the boat" and I heard someone say "Only in an emergency". Senior instructor said "Regs in mouth... If you have air". I considered this an emergency but began to snorkel since I was out of air and did not want to be alone. Everyone else excluding my buddy and I used regulators. Buddy began to vomit uncontrollably and the group almost left the both of us behind. During the entire thing we were certainly isolated in the rear. Apparently no one had any safety devices for signaling other then the dive lights. At this point I believe an SMB should have been deployed but I did not have one and do not believe that the instructors carry any adequate safety equipment such as the SMB, signal mirrors, storm whistles, strobes, or anything at all related. I have not verified this but in any case none were used to my knowledge.
Well, someone signaled the boat and after a long time the boat came and threw a buoy. I could not swim to the buoy but I tried and my buddy towed it to me. The buoy was attached to a short wire and I hung on to it and told my buddy that I needed to get on the boat as quick as possible.
I climbed on the boat and told the boat dive-master I had chest pain and he ignored me. I told the driver of the boat I needed 02 and asked if she had any. She said she had many bottles and I asked her for one. Eventually she began to open the 02 kit. She fumbled with it for approximately 5 minutes before giving up and handing the job to the well trained dive-master candidates from the class. They fumbled with it for another five to ten minutes and eventually got me oxygen. I learned at this time the classes oxygen was being deployed on another diver and friends. I was trying not to be seasick and succeeded with this effort however many did not. Through the vomit, I struggled to remove all remaining gear. I was not sea sick and began to use 02. No instructors were present and the pain got worse. My right leg started to shake uncontrollably upon inhalation but I was not cold.
At this point I realized the nature of my condition. I asked the boat driver if she had called the coast-guard yet. She said no and wanted to know if I thought it would be a good idea. I asked her to please call someone and she called someone and the boat began to move. Someone said 5 divers including another instructor from the program were now alone at sea. Captain sent out a signal in the area about the abandoned divers and they were picked up somehow.

The sheriff eventually responded and I was instructed to lay on my left side with my feet elevated above my head. This did not seem possible so I put my legs up on female instructor and on another persons buddy. Long story short, I was rushed to hospital and in the ambulance learned of the onset of arrhythmia and my right arm became numb. Several tests were taken on the ambulance such as EKG and I became disoriented. I asked the drivers to call Divers Alert Network and locate a chamber if necessary. They wanted to know if I needed a chamber and I told them probably. They took me to the trauma center with no chamber and performed more tests such as arterial gas sample and chest xray and another EKG. I was released several hours later without a formal diagnosis.

I trusted the staff and followed them into a bad situation. I feel like this situation may have been accelerated by human error from several parties. I try to live by the motto "Plan your dive, dive your plan" and this plan included not only my buddy but two additional buddy pairs and the instructors from the university. This plan fell apart underwater very quickly due to the environment but also due to several poor decisions made by the leaders and members of the dive. In addition to these poor decisions at depth, I do not believe that an injured diver should be directing emergency procedures on the boat. I was given no aid that was not asked for explicitly and several times. Please keep in mind the onset of my condition was known upon surfacing. I communicated this vocally however no SURFACE OK signals were given by anyone.
At gear check in on November 13th I spoke to an instructor I respect about my disappointment with the instructors and the way things were handled. I began to ask the female instructor about what happened underwater and she was told to go inside by the rest of the staff. The senior instructor I was diving with approached and I asked him what happened underwater. He said he believed I only contacted him once underwater. This is simply a lie as buddy and I contacted both instructors several times as our PSI was decreasing. I asked him to leave but he would not leave and we had a confrontation.
At this point I must say that although I feel responsible for putting myself in the water despite several warning signs, I feel that instructors helped make this situation into a catastrophe. I believe it was due to overconfidence and a large degree of negligence. instructors will try to protect their interests and I believe their story will be drastically different from mine. I will have medical appointments throughout the week as my chest pain has not lapsed since its onset at sea and remains 'undiagnosed' accompanied by nausea. All in all we were down approximately 30 minutes in 70 - 80 fsw on air. DAN does not believe it is DCS but a possible combination of other conditions. Unfortunately it will be difficult to find what really happened since I have been recovering quickly.

-V-

I'm no expert in this kind of "accident" but it sounds to me like 2 things went wrong here.

1) you freaked out.

2) the dive shouldn't have happened in the first place.

The seas have been very rough in FLL all weekend long. 6-8' seas are big. We've been scrubbing dives all weekend long, because of the Easterly winds, blowing up the surf. I was supposed to dive today, but that was also "blown out" again. Our dive op of choice won't take the boat out in 6-8' seas. It's not safe.

Is the dive op somewhat irresponsible for taking you out in the first place? Oh Yeah. A student with <15 dives in rough seas at night? That sounds kind of tough. Everyone was puking on the boat? That doesn't sound very fun at all.

Aside from it not being a bright idea to go out in the first place... that's 1 main problem... The rest of the problem is your freak out underwater.

What did the instructor try to yell at you through his reg when you showed him your remaining pressure for the 10th time? Did he ask you to chill out? You were obviously in over your head literally. I wouldn't be too happy if my buddy wanted to surface with 1200 psi left. that sounds like another few minutes of bottom time...

I don't know anything about your pains, but since everyone with medical knowledge thinks its not DCS, it's probably not.

You're a certified diver, as you've stated several times in the post. How many dives do you have? Your profile says 0-15. Are you really ready for Advanced?

I'm not trying to harsh on you, but really, this dive should never have happened. The conditions were poor, you made several choices that lead to these events, and were diving beyond your expertise.

I've said before on this board that AOW should have a minimum requirement of maybe 25 logged dives before you're even allowed to take the course. Unfortunately, it's more about making money, than anything else.

Howarde, what would your recommended turn pressure be on a night dive, in heavy seas, with the possibility of a long surface swim? Personally, I think Vayu making the decision to turn on thirds was probably a good idea. The failure was not following what he planned to do. That is once he had made the decision to enter the water. Which I agree was the wrong one.

To begin with, I'm glad you made it out alive to begin with and are recovering from symptoms rather well.

The conditions were quite horrible from the way you described it, and I probably would have thumbed the dive way before getting on the boat. I can take rough seas during the day and I'm fine with night dives, but the two just aren't a very good mix. If I was going to go through with the dive as you did, I would have abided by the rule of thirds just to ensure that I had plenty air in my tank in case it would have taken a while for the boat to find my group. The last thing you want while waiting on the surface is to be swallowing water and adding to your already paniced state. It also seems that the both of you are a little nervous under water because of the high air consumption rate you both share.

I must agree that AOW should be done when you have become at ease with the water and are able to calmly handle basic situation that should arise, and at least have a bunch of dives in various conditions that lead up to a dive like you partook in. Like Howard said about having a set number of logged dives be it 25 or 50. I'm getting close to 100 dives and at this point I'm only considering taking Nitrox. Will I take AOW in future, it's a possibility, but I honestly I rather practice the skills that are taught in AOW with buddies I completely trust especially those with more experience. And most importantly those that will end the dive should I decide to thumb it for feeling uncomfortable.

Another vital piece of equipment that at one person in the group should have had, although everyone should personally care one is an SMB or sausage. There was a recent thread about a diver on the Spiegel Grove who was separated from his buddy due to currents and was found 1.5 miles away from the boat. ( http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=114486&highlight=spiegel+grove ) If you or someone near you had one, the boat might have been able to attrack the attention of the boat and been picked up instead of having to swim towards the boat.

Aside from being a little under-experienced especially for the conditions that you described, it seems that the dive operation you went out with leaves a little to be desired for, especially when it comes to handling possible emergency operations. However, I do believe the dive should have been cancelled if the conditions were that rough, and I believe they were because I too live in Pompano Beach and have been dieing to go diving more.

If you're ever in the area and need a buddy for a shore dive or even a boat dive, let me know.

I think the biggest problem here was even though you were uncomfortable with your PSI you stayed anyway, like you said you are a certified diver and when you feel its time to thumb the dive then do it, dont let an instuctor or ANYBODY for that matter tell you different. That kind of decision has killed more than one diver. If you feel you want to end a dive then do it, if someone else doesn't like it, as I would say, sorry bout their luck!

Vayu,

I hope you fully recover soon. Unfortunately, your experience is not all that atypical, one mistake after another by one diver after another. You seem to have a good understanding of many of the issues involved. Practice and develop basic skills shallow, your air consumption will improve - and it's safer overall, then proceed one incremental step at a time.

Ask for you money back.

The language of business is money.

In theory the OW certification means a diver is capable of doing a dive as part of a functional buddy pair, with no need for outside assistance. Despite your comments that you don&#8217;t like &#8216;follow the leader dives&#8217; you come across as being dependent on the instructors during this dive.

If the other divers had not ascended when you were at 1000 psi how long would you have continued to follow them?

Vayu - I might sound hard here - and I don't mean to be, but the lesson from all this is that when diving you are in charge of your own safety &#8211; you and your buddy call the shots. You planned your dive with your dive buddy and the group before getting in and you had agreed to ascend at 1800 psi - so dive your plan. Although you blame the instructors for dragging out your bottom time its your responsibly as a certified OW diver, let alone as an &#8216;Advanced OW&#8217; candidate, to take control of your own dives. If you feel uncomfortable at any point then can the dive. Ascend at the pressure you and your buddy have agreed to, regardless of others around or their qualifications/prescribed duties.

I agree that the instructor guiding you on your AOW dive should have ascended with you at the agreed pressure of 1800, but if they continue diving or if the group gets seperated then its no big deal: you and your buddy should wave them goodbye and ascend - it keeps you safe and makes them look wrong for not staying together and sticking to the agreed plan.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Glad you are recovering quickly Vayu, and best wishes on making this experience one to learn from. Your story certainly sounds like a bad deal. You expect a buddy to honor your thumbs-up signal, but when you're in an Instructor lead class, you do feel you have to do as told.

I'm curious about this...
At this point I believe an SMB should have been deployed but I did not have one and do not believe that the instructors carry any adequate safety equipment such as the SMB, signal mirrors, storm whistles, strobes, or anything at all related. I have not verified this but in any case none were used to my knowledge.
I think that every diver should be carry a signal mirror, safety sausage, and storm whistle on every dive, and a tank light and dive light on night dives. Were you? You could have inflated your BC, blown your storm whistle, and flashed your dive light until the boat came for you, even tho the in-water divers ignored your pleas for help.

A slate would also be a good low-cost addition, so you could write "I want to go up NOW" in any similar situations. :wink:

The plan was at 1800 to notify instructors and as a group we would head back to the ascent line slowly and get on board. I believed this is what we were doing as they kept signalling 'OK' and pointing in a specific direction. As it turns out, we continued to swim with the current away from the boat and wreck. My buddy and I would have ascended earlier but truth be told we believed to be on track to the boat. I also knew that in these conditions breaking from the group could be extremely hazardous and we tried for as long as we could to stay togethor. No one can say what could have or would have happened however staying in formation till the end gave me an oppurtunity to share air with 6 additional divers in addition to my buddy if needed. We knew we had made mistakes and this gave my buddy access to everyones regulator whether they would have liked it or not. The limiting factor here was air and not bottom time. At surface waves would constantly obscure the horizon. Two seperated halves of a group would have caused more chaos and left alot less of a margin for error. It is true I am the only one responsible for my safety. I feel my buddy and I did as best we could and under the circumstances I was able to walk away basically unscathed. I know it was a bad situation to start with, but no one here can say they would have been so lucky.

Unfortunately everyone was grossly underprepared in regards to safety equipment and we did not plan on things being so bad. I have been meaning to put a safety kit togethor and it is complacency that led me to believe it could wait till after our class dives. I am pretty sure that no single diver could be found on the two boats we chartered with a full set of safety gear. It was sloppy all the way by everyone.

Don, I have a slate and have 'Check yourself before you wreck yourself' written on it as well as depth and time limits for the dive site. Unfortunately with the current, low vis, and creeping doom I did not feel comfortable writing things out for anyone.

-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom