Full DIY Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I got to say this though: I always wondered where relatively decent gear on eBay came from. I guess I now know where. So keep it coming and sell those second hand goodies. The rest of us will find a way to make it work :wink:

www.scubamazing.com:
Hey I was just wondering if anyone dives fully in do it your self gear. I imagine not. In fact, I think I'd have to be suicidal if I were to do it. But I just wanted to know.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the beginning of the sport most things were DIY. Made from raw material or modified from some existing item. An example would be SCUBA tanks which were often made from WW11 surplus CO2 cylinders topped with a WW11 surplus O2 medical valve which a washer grove had been machined. The straps were made from WW11 surplus webbing. All for about $15.00

FYI
May I suggest that you visit www.portagequarry "Legends of diving" and read "The mask" It is about a homemade mask the late great Charlie Sturgil made for me (--shall we say many moons ago) It was "Homemade" AKA "DIY."

Only a few were made and only three remain. I am certain that you can imagine the value of such a mask as a collectors item-if a value can be placed on it. A DIY mask made by the winner of the worlds first spearfishing meet; the great inovator of diving who developed much of what is being used today...

Arrangements are being made as I type to display two of the three remaining mask at Portage Qarry next week end during the Legends event.

sdm

I love it when people tell me I can't do something. It makes me realize how free I am and it gives me a challenge to conquer. When I say 'free' I mean free from self-imposed limitations others have shackled themselves with.

Last time someone told me I couldn't do something I went through 9 months of blood sweat, tears and endless hours of R&D work. In the end I learned a lot about subjects I hadn't studied in-depth before, improved my troubleshooting skills, and most importantly I proved that I could in fact do that thing I was told "can't be done". There is immense satisfaction in that, and it fuels the desire to do more things that "can't be done".

Men have gone to the moon. They have harnessed the power of the atom. They have decoded the genome. In light of the great achievements of humankind why would a person think they are incapable of building a simple mechanical device with less than a dozen parts? If you want to do something all that needs to be done is to study, acquire the resources, and accomplish the task through determination and work.

-Ben

airsix:
I love it when people tell me I can't do something. It makes me realize how free I am and it gives me a challenge to conquer. When I say 'free' I mean free from self-imposed limitations others have shackled themselves with.

Last time someone told me I couldn't do something I went through 9 months of blood sweat, tears and endless hours of R&D work. In the end I learned a lot about subjects I hadn't studied in-depth before, improved my troubleshooting skills, and most importantly I proved that I could in fact do that thing I was told "can't be done". There is immense satisfaction in that, and it fuels the desire to do more things that "can't be done".

Men have gone to the moon. They have harnessed the power of the atom. They have decoded the genome. In light of the great achievements of humankind why would a person think they are incapable of building a simple mechanical device with less than a dozen parts? If you want to do something all that needs to be done is to study, acquire the resources, and accomplish the task through determination and work.

-Ben
You can't say it any better than that, Ben. I raise my hat to you.

On a much less sophisticated level, it should be reasonably easy to make a dive flag. I'd just begun pondering the best way of using 2-liter bottles (since they can be gotten anywhere and don't need to be packed along), joining them with either a cord harness or duct tape - though there is something to be said for using an inner tube. Just so long as the solution is buoyant enough to not join me for the dive and stable enough to not flip upside-down...

any update creed? its ben another year :)

Update? Hmmm, I've still been building and rebuilding regs. I've come across a new method of casting which may help me overcome the problems I had before on my quest for home built cans, but I haven't had a free weekend(that wasn't soaked with moisture) to test it. Moisture and molten metal are not a good combination. I'll post back when I have something more.

Back
Top Bottom