full/extended trimix course (tdi/iantd), where, who, tips, etc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taliena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I did my entry level trimix (60m. depth) not a long time ago, but slowly it's time to take a look on a full trimix/extended trimix course. OC.
I prefer doing it with the instructor from my entry level trimix course. But he need another student to do it (problem is we have to travel at least 1000km to find water deeper than 60m.). And I'm only alone, no buddyfriend who want to do it.
Another option is to go back to the instructor where I did my full cave, but the problem is the price. It’s not only the course, but the flight by plane etc. too.
So I want to look around.
Organisation, IANTD or TDI (or maybe something else) doesn’t matter.
Austria, Attersee is an option, but really cold. Normally I dive in cold water (on 30m. mostly 4-6 degrees, last week on 56m. it was only 2 degrees). But I prefer some warmer water to learn.
Another option is Malta next winter. Ok, not really warm too, but not as cold as here.
Or Egypt. Or other country’s?
And how to find a good instructor? The problem for me is that I need to travel to follow the course, so it’s impossible to meet an instructor in real life before the course.
Mostly it’s not a problem, I have really good experience with my full cave course and my trimix course. But I have a really bad experience with my instructor for adv. Nitrox (I followed the course in my own country).
I want to know what an instructor is expecting from me, and he/she needs to know what I expect. No strange excersises or things that not met the standards (for my adv. Nitrox course, I made the last dive with another student to 45m depth and the instructor didn’t follow us further than 30m depth with a visability of 5m. he didn’t see our dive.)
And I don’t want an ‘ego’ as an instructor. It will be my holiday, so I want to learn, but I want to make nice dives too.
Another problem is the 20 kg of luggage. Are the materials included? I try to take my own drysuit, regulators and wing with me. But a cable light, heavy fins, and stage regulators are a problem then. If the materials are included, I can take my own fins etc and use a wing from the divingschool.

So tips for an instructor and tips for a country are welcome.

Where are you located?

i would definately recomend hurghada in egypt. i recently did tdi deco procedures and extended range there. there is some beautiful deep walls, wrecks and drop offs. definatly recommend it.

Since you're cave certified, you could combine your Trimix course with some cave diving in Mexico if you take it with Protec in Playa del Carmen. They're an IANTD shop and Nando, Patrick, and Matt are all excellent. Staying at Mom's Hotel in Playa, right next to the shop, will simplify your logistics--they'll have you picked up and returned to the airport in Cancun, and there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

Since you're cave certified, you could combine your Trimix course with some cave diving in Mexico if you take it with Protec in Playa del Carmen. They're an IANTD shop and Nando, Patrick, and Matt are all excellent. Staying at Mom's Hotel in Playa, right next to the shop, will simplify your logistics--they'll have you picked up and returned to the airport in Cancun, and there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

There are caves deeper than 60 metres in that area? Actually, deeper than 75 metres to conform to standards?

While there are a couple of deep caves in the area(The Pit and Blue Abyss), I meant he could spend some time cave diving while he was in the area, in addition to doing his class. I did my Normoxic there, and we did all the dives in the ocean off Akumal.

There are caves deeper than 60 metres in that area? Actually, deeper than 75 metres to conform to standards?

I have been to 100m in Dos Ojos Pit but that is about the only one deeper than 60m I have seen.
The Blue Abyss and Hojo Negro are deep but not deep enough for Adv Trimix class

I did the course on Malta. Great course, nice dives, good instructor, nice wrecks and reefs.

I have been to 100m in Dos Ojos Pit but that is about the only one deeper than 60m I have seen.
The Blue Abyss and Hojo Negro are deep but not deep enough for Adv Trimix class

The Blue Abyss is 240 feet before the TKM restriction, I believe. But that wouldn't be the best training ground for advanced trimix, as it is a 40 - 60 minute swim just to get to the Blue Abyss, depending on which line you take. Beyond the swim, that would be a lot of logistics to stage the proper gasses there. It'd be a cool dive, but not one that you'd likely do during a class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom