Full Face Mask Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the advise everyone. This really helps, and yes i am a new diver and have put some dive time in since i made this page. I also learn extremely quickly which is good for me but can also be my downfall if i'm not carefull. Thx for the advise and conscern.

Sharing air with a FFM is not easy or simple. As a new diver you don't need the extra complications a FFM brings over a standard mask and reg. I would look into ungrading your training with a good AOW course, and rescue before spending money on FFMs.

Is ffm difficult?

Like any piece of equipment, it requires some getting use to. Why bother?

1. If you're diving in cold conditions, it's much warmer;

2. It allows you to breathe normally, allowing the diver to be more relaxed;

3. No jaw fatigue during long dives;

4. The mask/helmet is more secure (multiple straps);

5. Provides the ability to communicate topside or with another diver;

6. Increased safety in-case of loss of consciousness.

I don't buy the reduced visibility argument, although I can't say that there aren't FFMs that don't restrict vision. This just isn't my experience, having used one commercially for the last 37 years.

FFMs have many benefits, but I'd agree with those posters who've recommended that the OP first gain more experience. It wouldn't however surprise me to find increasing numbers of recreational divers using them.

Like any piece of new equipment, I'd recommend that a diver spends an ample amount of time in the pool before going into open-water. Get a person who's experienced in using one to give you a hand.

As it's no longer cost prohibitive, recreational divers can partake in the benefits that commercial divers have enjoyed for years.

Like any piece of equipment, it requires some getting use to. Why bother?

1. If you're diving in cold conditions, it's much warmer;

2. It allows you to breathe normally, allowing the diver to be more relaxed;

3. No jaw fatigue during long dives;

4. The mask/helmet is more secure (multiple straps);

5. Provides the ability to communicate topside or with another diver;

6. Increased safety in-case of loss of consciousness.

I don't buy the reduced visibility argument, although I can't say that there aren't FFMs that don't restrict vision. This just isn't my experience, having used one commercially for the last 37 years.

FFMs have many benefits, but I'd agree with those posters who've recommended that the OP first gain more experience. It wouldn't however surprise me to find increasing numbers of recreational divers using them.

Like any piece of new equipment, I'd recommend that a diver spends an ample amount of time in the pool before going into open-water. Get a person who's experienced in using one to give you a hand.

As it's no longer cost prohibitive, recreational divers can partake in the benefits that commercial divers have enjoyed for years.

I agree with DCBC on this one, I have been Diving the AGA for a year now and I love it. I started with it in the pool, making sure I was comfortable removing the FFM to a backup mask and reg and from my backup to the FFM.

I have owned two full face masks. I had an AGA,, and I still use my cressi -sub full face mask. The cressi is very simple in that it uses your second stage, you simply push it through the front of the mask. I believe they can be had for less than a hundred dollars. I bought the AGA because of some work that I had. It is very simple to clear your ears via a nose block.

The only problem I had with the AGA, is once I got a little light headed. I have a tendency to breath pretty light. I do not know if that was the case, but I attributed my light headed feeling to co2 build up. Once I started breathing a little heavier, the feeling went away.

Also know that once you are on the mask, you are on the tank. There's no snorkeling here.

If one were to use the FFM, wouldn't one need to carry a spare regular mask anyway for just in case the second stage malfunctions and the diver has to switch to octo?

If one were to use the FFM, wouldn't one need to carry a spare regular mask anyway for just in case the second stage malfunctions and the diver has to switch to octo?

That's a good question. I know there are valves available that will allow you to switch from one air supply to another. But that would not help you with a second stage problem.
I will leave this one to the commercial divers, who know far more about it then I do.

I can only say that from what I have seen, I do not see commercial divers with a back up second stage. But I might be wrong.:)

I don't carry a spare mask when I dive one. But I also know that I'd be able to dive without a mask, using my backup regulator. You certainly COULD carry one.

Back
Top Bottom