Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyinWV:
I'm not going to make an equiptment recommendation, more or a FEATURE recommendation. You can see if the units your looking at have it.

Be sure the masks have the ability to depress or pinch the nose. It takes A LOT of practice to learn to equalize without pinching the nose (if that is how you are used to doing it). Several units now offer this.

If you get something without that option, some of your divers may not be able to use them if they can't equalize. Since equalizing by jaw-wiggle and swallowing takes much practice and you need to actually build up those muscles in your cranium to do it consistantly.

Funny thing, I asked around to my other divers and those that do not have tonsils (since when we were kids they yanked them out at the slightest sore throat) usually need to equalize by nose-pinch/blow method, and those with tonsils have an easier time with the jaw-wiggle/swallow. Digest that useless bit of info :sleeping:

Southern IN...you must work state, if you worked USP Terre Haute the Ohio river would be a bit of a haul. Kudos...people don't usually appreciate what you do, I can sympathize (with your wife anyway).

Good luck finding a set-up,

Amy
Thanks Amy. A couple of things, there are only three of us who will be fitted/trained on the mask, I and at least one of the other two are used to clearing without pinching the nose, so I am not to worried about that. But, it is a good point, so thanks.

On your other remark, you are correct in both cases. I do work state, and Terre Haute is a long haul. But as far as the wife, she is an RN at the same facility where I work, so she knows allready. Her job is actually a lot worse than mine. I have been there 21 years, so I am hardly ever arround inmates anymore (training officer) she on the other hand, works a lot in the seg unit.

So thanks to all, I have allready sent emails and called several of the contacts listed above. If this all works out, I will post back to let you all know what we got.

Because of Bob3's recommendation many moons ago, I checked into the Posiedon. I was one of the very first to purchase Poseidon's Atmosphere Full Face Mask. It is very similar to the AGA. We have done some serious diving together in many different conditions - I love it and wouldn't trade it. I have no regrets about buying it and would highly recommend it.

I would recommend the Neptune II FFM & Communication system. We use them as standard equipment and have not had any issues. The mask is very well designed and offers a great fit. I personally will never go back to a standard mask unless it is a special occasion or on a trip.

If you have any specific questions about the units let me know.

RGist, thanks for the info. This ball started last September, but we lost our grant money so we are still operating by the ole' tug on the rope technique. If something changes (we get money) I will look into Neptune II's system.

Thanks again.

Do not buy this mask!!!

This is just to let you know that the Oklahoma Highway Patrol Underwater Search and Recovery Team (damn what a mouthful) purchased eleven of these units pluse a surface unit and have been extremely disappointed in their communication and functioning abilities. For those of you who do not or have not experienced Oklahoma's freshwater lakes, 99% are complete blackwater dives.

The Ocean reef may be a decent and somewhat affordable pleasure diver mask, in my experience it will not hold up to the rigors of public safety diving. Also, as "Amy" pointed out, the ocean reef does not provide the pinch feature for equalization, even for someone who uses the mask regularly (when it's operational) it can be difficult and frustrating when on mission and unable to equalize.

Kevin

bbwolf195:
Do not buy this mask!!!

This is just to let you know that the Oklahoma Highway Patrol Underwater Search and Recovery Team (damn what a mouthful) purchased eleven of these units pluse a surface unit and have been extremely disappointed in their communication and functioning abilities. For those of you who do not or have not experienced Oklahoma's freshwater lakes, 99% are complete blackwater dives.

The Ocean reef may be a decent and somewhat affordable pleasure diver mask, in my experience it will not hold up to the rigors of public safety diving. Also, as "Amy" pointed out, the ocean reef does not provide the pinch feature for equalization, even for someone who uses the mask regularly (when it's operational) it can be difficult and frustrating when on mission and unable to equalize.

Kevin

I have to agree with you on the Ocean Reef as far as durability. I tried one several years ago and didn't like several features in it with design and construction. The most disliked feature was the large frontal area. That thing sticks way out in front and I didn't like the balance of it in or out of the water. A more compact closer to the face unit is more suitable. That thing could be a major fishing line collection unit.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
I have to agree with you on the Ocean Reef as far as durability. I tried one several years ago and didn't like several features in it with design and construction. The most disliked feature was the large frontal area. That thing sticks way out in front and I didn't like the balance of it in or out of the water. A more compact closer to the face unit is more suitable. That thing could be a major fishing line collection unit.

Gary D.

Hi Gary.

I'm the team leader for the Bermuda Police Dive Team. I just took over the job and i'm keeping my eyes open for interesting people who can provide me with advice and suggestions.

I don't have any questions to ask but would love to have someone like you to bounce ideas off of.

if you could email me at ctaggett@transact.bm i'd like to have your email handy without having to post messages in scubaboard.

We are certainly not using the FFM for Search & Rescue. We use the systems for photography/videography and fun dives. So I can certainly understand the difference in requirements.

With that said, are you sure that the units you purchased were Neptune II’s?

You mention that you do not like the Ocean Reef and said you were disappointed and did not like the size. Do you have a specific manufacturer and model that you feel resolved these issues?

As far as equalizing, I will admit when I first started using the unit it took some getting used to, but after about three dives I had it down and have not had any issues since. Not to mention, all of the other manufactures products (at least the ones that I have seen) work in a very similar way.

I'm thinking about buying a ffm for creational purpose, but at the same time I read
something from the "Diver" magazine which talks about the CO2 accumulation for the
early models, and thus become a problem for dive more than 33 ft depth.
If, let's say, I am considering ScubaPro/Mantis FFM... do you think it would be a
problem for the respective issue?

Thanks,
alo100@yahoo.com

rmediver2002:
Hi Amy,

Most of the quality FFM units on the market incoorperate a rigid frame and a oral nasal assembly (this prevents CO2 build-up within the mask)

Similar to diving helmets, they also include a nose clearing device. On sevral a v shaped rubber block you can seal your nose with to clear.

The "Jack Browne" or "Desco pool cleaning mask" is the only unit I can recall off-hand that does not allow for clearing without having to utilize jaw shift or swallowing...

To eliminate the problem of CO2 retention, consider one of the old Poseidon style originally made by Cressi, they cost between $65 -$100.
You re-install the regulator's mouthpiece so the CO2 retention is no longer an issue.
http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/a5/e6/a4_2.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom