• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fullface mask by Victor Berge (circa 1940`s)

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by АлександрД, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

OMG -- No thermal protection!

upload_2018-11-23_9-45-24.png

Mare Island Naval Shipyard is in San Francisco Bay, +/- 50° F or 10° C.

Sam Miller III likes this.
  2. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Sam, I'm not on the island but should be able to post a picture when I get back there

3. АлександрД

АлександрД Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    - This is not Berge mask, it is very different and very rare mask - First Japanese diving mask (1918) "near-fullface" mask

Also one very interesting notice...
    When I told about my experience with self made full face mask - I told about masks with cylindrical or spherical glases... modern mask, used it - is Aquasphere, some years before - it was Hydrooptics, but first mask, used spherical glasses to correct air/water refraction - was Victor Berge mask!

1_43852aa9f6c1e5065f080cd99f555ede.jpg

4. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Another fabulous thread by real experts АлександрД, Sam Miller and Akimbo. Thank you.

АлександрД likes this.
  5. Saiper

Saiper Garibaldi

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    Apologies for bumping a rather old thread, especially seeing as how I'm a new member.

Basically (and to cut a rather long story short), my uncle passed away last year and bequeathed me several of his possessions. Being a keen diver and WW2 historian, most of these items were military and naval collectible items, most of which I have been able to research and value. However....one of them proved quite difficult to find information upon. Until that is, I found this thread! Thanks op:) The item in question is a Victor Berge mask; in specific it appears to be the exact same one in the first post.

Having absolutely no interest in historical diving artifacts (apologies to all those that do), I'd ideally like to get the item back to its country of origin and in the hands of someone who can appreciate it; either it be a museum or a private collector. If anyone knows someone who may be interested, please let me know.

Anyway, thanks again op. The information you posted proved to be extremely useful.

img_20200320_132832_by_saiper_ddstr9t-fullview.jpg

Thanks
    Rob

АлександрД likes this.
  6. Mike Lev

Mike Lev Barracuda

As far as a value.Like it is,maybe $200.If you had the original round brass second stage maybe up to $700.I have a mint one.Good luck.

7. Saiper

Saiper Garibaldi

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    Thanks for the reply. It's quite an interesting looking item, so I might put it on display. One thing I've noticed is that it's quite small. They must have had smaller heads back then:D