Fun things Newbies do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may have once violated the most important rule of diving.

"Always look cool".

I believe it was around 1999 or 2000.

I had a lime green zip tie on my inflator.

Ashamed to this day.

And I thought I was lame. :shakehead:

Very funny stuff. You new guys and gals out there, try not to repeat any of these, but also lighten up on yourself. We all make mistakes. Let's make sure the only price we pay is being embarrassed.

When is it too cold to dive? When the water is colder than the beer! :cheers:

Forgot to connect my low pressure inflater hose. My wife/dive buddy caught it I felt dumb since right after that I did not hold my mask during a giant stride in and she had to recover my mask. I was supposed to be the leader of our dive, yikes I was having a bad day.

I too have jumped in without weights, and without my light battery connected.

Along similar lines of funny stuff we did, I don't always hear the best so for the first 6 months or so of diving I thought they were called "Nurf sharks" until one of my buddies started laughing at me when I was describing the nurf shark I had seen. When they stopped laughing they let me know they are Nurse Sharks not nurf :shocked2:

I was at the surface waiting to descend along a line. I grabbed my BCD hose and hit the button to deflate the BCD holding the hose above my head. I could hear air escaping, but never started to sink. After about 30 seconds, another diver came over and said "try using the other button on the BCD". I was on the inflator button the whole time. Very embarrassing.:dork:

I jumped off the boat w/o fins. Didn't realize (no need to kick then) until I was about 10ft under and turned in horizontal position and wanted to head into desired direction :)

-only turned the valve partially on...tough breathing at 60 fsw
-forgot that I didn't have my gloves on (50 degree water) but finished the dive
-went on a night solo dive and realized that my valve wasn't turned on and had to get out and walk back up the beach to a group of tech divers sitting on a wall to ask someone to turn my valve on

-went on a night solo dive and realized that my valve wasn't turned on and had to get out and walk back up the beach to a group of tech divers sitting on a wall to ask someone to turn my valve on

:shocked2: Yikes, solo and no air!?

After certification, my first dive trip was to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. I spent a week diving cenotes with an instructor, but once we got to Cozumel I was on my own and doing boat dives for the first time.

On my first trip out, I was pretty pumped but also pretty nervous. As luck would have it, I was seated near the bow but entry would be giant strides off the stern. This meant I had to walk nearly the entire length of the boat--maybe 20 feet!--fully suited up with both my fins and tank on while the boat rocked from side to side. Yikes.

When my turn finally came, I stood up and started shuffling, a few inches at a time, towards the rear. I looked up at some point and the entire Mexican crew was looking at me like "wtf?". I'm sure I turned bright red with embarrassment but just put my head down and shuffled as fast as I could. After what seemed like forever, I finally made it to the back of the boat and into the water.

After my son was certified a few years later, I took him diving in the Keys. I had promised his mother that I would be especially diligent in my supervision. Our first trip out, I went over his gear with a fine tooth comb, making him show me what went where, how things work, etc, before finally letting him hit the water. Then I followed--without my mask and my fins. Oops.

He thought it was hilarious and every now and then he'll be sure to bring it up when we go diving.

Back
Top Bottom