Fundamentals course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eod

Reaction score
Ok, I have almost decided to take the DIR Fundamentals later on this summer. But I've not decided for sure yet. I'm going to go into decompression/overhead diving sooner or later and having the fundamentals course "out of the way" would be good. Are there any more reasons for taking the fundamentals course sooner rather than later? Are there any drawbacks?

While I haven't taken DIR-F, I did have some interaction with a couple of GUE instructors regarding a course they were going to be teaching. I'm a very new diver and was questioning when I should take it. They encouraged me to take it as early as possible. The argument is that it (1) teaches and reinforces good form early in your career and (2) prevents (or at least minimizes) bad diving habits. With that said, from what I've read, I wouldn't expect a new diver to actually pass DIR-F. But taking and passing DIR-F are two very different things. A very different course than other recreational diving courses.

I would recommend taking the fundies class sooner and your tech classes later. You will need some time to truly master the skills learned in the fundies class. The class is great, but as a new diver don't expect a pass the first time out. Taking the class sooner rather than later is best as it will be easier to break your bad habits, or prevent them. Take it and have fun.

Agree with pp02_diver.

I took the class with about 20 dives. I was fortunate enough to have some experience with GUE and DIR prior to taking it, which helped, but I didn't come CLOSE to passing, nor should I. It was hugely educational for me.

The only drawbacks to taking it so early, was that my buoyancy wasn't solid. I don't mean DIR-F solid, I mean just recreationally solid. I was doing ok with my diving, but the idea of staying still in the water was Jedi stuff. Unfortunately with DIR-F, you really do need to have reasonable buoyancy and control of yourself. Otherwise you miss out on some things.

Take the class, forget about passing, and just absorb as much as you can. Then do 50-100 dives and take it again and see if you can pass.

eod:
I'm going to go into decompression/overhead diving sooner or later and having the fundamentals course "out of the way" would be good. Are there any more reasons for taking the fundamentals course sooner rather than later? Are there any drawbacks?

I hope that I'm not reading too much into your post, but getting the DIR-F class "out of the way", might not be the best approach to enter this class with. It appears that you desire to do OE and/or decompression diving in the future and the skills introduced in the DIR-F class will prove invaluable as you progress. You will need to refine issues such as trim, balance, bouyancy before you enter any overhead environments, and this class will point you in the right direction so I hope you don't look at this class as, yet another, pre-requisite before taking OE training, because we try real hard make this class valuable, informative & educational.

Regards,

MHK, I don't new(ish) divers realize how much they don't know until it's pointed out to them. One of the most humbling things I did in DIR-F, was simply waiting for my turn in the water to do my finning. You're just supposed to wait there in line. Hardest thing I think I had ever done!

I have avoided taking cavern class until my buoyancy felt solid to *ME*. Everyone says I'd do great, and they're probably right, but DIR-F gave me an appreciation of what feeling solid is like in the water.

It's not the only way to aquire the skills, but it's a good way in my opinion, as long as the gear config sits well with the student.

PerroneFord:
I have avoided taking cavern class until my buoyancy felt solid to *ME*. Everyone says I'd do great, and they're probably right, but DIR-F gave me an appreciation of what feeling solid is like in the water.

The first dive in my DIR-F I saw something floating in the water. "what the hell is that?" I asked myself "is it a brick? Is it a corpse?".
It was my instructor showing how to hoover motionless in the water in perfect trim ";-)

Reinoud:
The first dive in my DIR-F I saw something floating in the water. "what the hell is that?" I asked myself "is it a brick? Is it a corpse?".
It was my instructor showing how to hoover motionless in the water in perfect trim ";-)

The greatest feeling in the world. :love:

I just took the class and I would agree that taking it sooner than later helps. Really don't even concern yourself with passing, just worry about getting as much out of it as possible. Then do a bunch of dives and come back. You'll be so much better off this way.

I don't have any experience with GUE, but I have heard that GUE instructors really like the Law of Primacy--ie, the sooner you can get to them, the better. :wink: Is this the case?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom