Fundies on Monday!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you still utilizing the steel double set and wet suit? By the way, good luck with your class. :wink:

Yeah, after running through all the kicks and skills, my buoyancy was pretty stable. I haven't done a buoyancy check with near empty twins yet but when full, the top of my head just breaks the surface, so I'm probably only a couple pounds overweight.

On the plus side, I get a lot of extra stability compared to an al80 single.

One really curious thing I noticed and I'm not sure how common this is with fundies classes elsewhere, but while we do get plenty of feedback and advice on our performance, there's no indication if we're meeting the standards for a pass. Doesn't really matter to me, but I can see how that would really stress out someone who's only focused on passing and not trying to learn and absorb everything.

We received plenty of indication of how our performance rated vs. required for a pass during Fundies.

The standards are available on the GUE website. If you're constantly getting corrected for buoyancy issues or trim, you aren't meeting standards for a pass.

I didn't ask and i'm not sure it's always a good idea. THe idea after all is to learn right, not to concentrate on passing?
It would depend on personality type, but I know that asking would probably just make me try harder and therefore stuff up more.

The standards are available on the GUE website. If you're constantly getting corrected for buoyancy issues or trim, you aren't meeting standards for a pass.

So far I can only speak for myself regarding corrections because we were working individually on kicks and skills but I've only been corrected once on each and according to the video I'm well within the 20 degrees/1m standard. I was just curious about what kind of feedback others have gotten, because most of the critique has been more along the lines of excessive knee movement, not holding the fins perfectly flat and inefficient clip offs.(Not to mention the damned back kick...)

Maybe because we are doing fundies through our lds and most if not all of our instructors were GUE trained, the basics were instilled from the very beginning?

I found your comments about the video review really paralleled my experience in ALL my classes. The review is dispassionate and thorough but it's also great learning. The instructors do a good job of organizing their critique so that it doesn't feel at all as though they are trying to make you feel bad about what you did -- it's clear their goal is to help you improve it.

I was really lucky when I took Fundies. I knew I sucked, so instead of being disappointed at poor performance, I was instead quite gratified by the things I actually managed to do well. If you don't have much ego in the game to begin with, you don't have much to get deflated :)

I do think it makes a HUGE difference how you start out, and how you have dived before you get there. I'm quite sure that the students we are training now, in neutral buoyancy and as horizontal as possible from the beginning, would have a much easier time of Fundamentals than I did, or my two novice teammates did.

I agree, try your best to leave your ego turned down.
It is difficult to do, because we all want to do well at it, but just lock onto the training and not the pass.

I does kind of eat at you wondering how your are doing during the course, doesn't it. :wink:

Enjoy it. I really missed the experience after it was over. I had so much fun!

Cheers,
Mitch

I really missed the experience after it was over. I had so much fun!

That's the dirty little secret, isn't it? Except for one, all of my classes were difficult and challenging, and had some point where I wasn't sure I was glad I had done it -- and when they were over, I wanted to do them again because it was, in a sick kind of way, really fun . . .

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom