Funjet rep at Park Royal is Rude, Disrespectful and Abusive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Fin59. Good to know :)

Hubby and I are equal opportunity dive-trip ho's. We'll book with whoever can get us there on the dates we want and where we want to stay the cheapest so we have used Funjet a few times. I'm not sure if it was them or Apple that the airport transfers were included in the deal, but all we had to do was go by the desk when the rep was there sometime during the week and ask for our return vouchers. I know once we were told to take a cab back to the airport and the rep at the airport would pay when we got there (and they did.) The only reason we had them on some of the trips we've booked is because they were included in the price of the trip already, all other trips we don't book the transfers because it is cheaper to pay for the van/cab yourself. It isn't a time-share type deal so there is not that hassle and they didn't press us to rent a Jeep/car or deadly moped. If it had worked out where the rep was never there when we were we would have just taken a cab. The Funjet and Apple reps are able to book vehicle rentals and excursions for you, but this is something you can do cheaper on your own. Anyway, tell your friends not to worry...they don't have to listen to any sales pitch :D

I think this is one of the most relevent comments to date. ALWAYS remember you are in a foreign country and the ugly American ain't going to win points in the long term. Just the opposite in fact.

Remember, you're a guest in a foreign country, so please watch your F-Bombs. I served 10 yrs in the military myself, so I do remember how many years for me to clean up my language now that I'm back in the civilian world. Smiling & learning a few words like "por favor" & "gracias" may also help.

Putting myself in Juan's shoes, I'm serving in my country's military & working on the side to provide for my family in a tough economic environment, & having a big tough ex-military Gringo foreigner coming to my country, cussing me out, dropping the F-Bombs at my place of employment, in front of my co-workers, not good.

It's not about whose is bigger and that seems to be where this discussion went. What are we arguing about here anyways? $20?

Cozumelians are infinitely polite and respectful...at least in my experience. I've nerer had to throw a hissy fit but on rare occasion I have had to be very explicit about what I need/want. Never had a problem getting it once that is clear. BTW, swearing, F-bombs etc are considered VERY rude in Coz. Actually can't think of where I've ever seen, even in some disagreements with cabbies.

Can I add a "!" to my "thanks"? :D

These vouchers and missing 'papers' seem to be part of the routine in these 'packages'.
Sounds like the equivalent of a lost luggage odds (eventually, if you go on enough trips,
you'll experience some excitement) My quick Cozumel story was at the Allegro a couple
yrs ago (before it was bought out by Holiday Vacations, an UK group - lovely hotel though)

We booked three nites thru Hotels.com, with kids included, and beginning the day we checked in they kept asking us to pay for the kids. The hotel basically wanted to hold our luggage hostage when we left, insisting we leave a copy of our CC. (which I did, reluctantly) In the end, Hotels confirmed the charges, or covered it and the balance of the experience was great. Cozumel really rocks all in all. One of the best places you can hang as a diver (go south! better dives)

My scuba shop gave us a travellers commandments - I'll see if I can dig up and post.
Basically, remember you are the guest in their country (hope they see it that way too)
Travel light, and remember it's all part of the journey and experience. Be a good ambassador.
Cheers!

Here's a tip:

I check the Funjet site every late Thurs night - early Fri morning, at 12am midnight central time, every week, for specials. Find your nearest big city airport, & Funjet will list the best sales avail.

Being from Houston, we're very lucky to have lots of sales to Cancun & Cozumel. Quick, cheap, & convenient.

We've booked a package from Houston to Cozumel w/ round trip airfare on a chartered AeroMexico, all inclusive hotel for 3 nights, Fri - Mon, transfers, & all taxes included for 2 adults & 2 teenagers, for $1500, or $377 per person.

Tourists bring a source of revenue to an island destination such as Cozumel (or my home Grand Cayman) but are not without expense to the local economy and environment. Infrastructure (roads, water supply and treatment, electricity generation, telecommunications, cruise ship piers, police service, ambulance and medical services, fire protections and emergency communications) is built up to handle the increased load on public systems. In exchange for the added investment in infrastructure, the local populace hopes to be able to provide employment for some portion of the local population. Tourism is not free money. Don't for a minute believe that.

The original poster got into an argument with a local resident. That can be a no-win situation. I do not doubt for a minute that the transfers which were bought and paid for should have been provided without a hassle. But I also think that if the original poster had so much as left a note at somepoint during the week then arrangements could have been made.

It is very difficult for a person to argue only with himself. It sounds to me that when things got a bit heated that Juan walked away. Smart move. No point escalating things out of hand.

And finally, if you are so concerned about what the Lomas representative might be saying to the front desk attendant, remember and use these parting words "Entiendo español, mi amigo." You might very well see a change in his face as you leave. Better yet... study enough Spanish so you really do understand.

I think this is one of the most relevent comments to date. ALWAYS remember you are in a foreign country and the ugly American ain't going to win points in the long term. Just the opposite in fact.

It's not about whose is bigger and that seems to be where this discussion went. What are we arguing about here anyways? $20?

Cozumelians are infinitely polite and respectful...at least in my experience. I've nerer had to throw a hissy fit but on rare occasion I have had to be very explicit about what I need/want. Never had a problem getting it once that is clear. BTW, swearing, F-bombs etc are considered VERY rude in Coz. Actually can't think of where I've ever seen, even in some disagreements with cabbies.

well, his tone with my wife was very rude, so I guess I got my f...ng point across...whether it's your country, my country or the 7/11 in iraq, rude is rude, and it wont be tolerated....and I sure as heck aint paying you to be rude to me....American or not I am not going to apologize for the sacrifices that made me an American..everytime I go to a less fortunate situation.

These vouchers and missing 'papers' seem to be part of the routine in these 'packages'.
Sounds like the equivalent of a lost luggage odds (eventually, if you go on enough trips,
you'll experience some excitement) My quick Cozumel story was at the Allegro a couple
yrs ago (before it was bought out by Holiday Vacations, an UK group - lovely hotel though)

We booked three nites thru Hotels.com, with kids included, and beginning the day we checked in they kept asking us to pay for the kids. The hotel basically wanted to hold our luggage hostage when we left, insisting we leave a copy of our CC. (which I did, reluctantly) In the end, Hotels confirmed the charges, or covered it and the balance of the experience was great. Cozumel really rocks all in all. One of the best places you can hang as a diver (go south! better dives)

My scuba shop gave us a travellers commandments - I'll see if I can dig up and post.
Basically, remember you are the guest in their country (hope they see it that way too)
Travel light, and remember it's all part of the journey and experience. Be a good ambassador.
Cheers!

this is similar to my story, except the representative was pissed that we had not book any events with him so
1.he felt the need to berate my wife when she called to ask about the trip to the airport.
2then he asked me what I was going to do about it,
3.then when asked if funjet would approve of his behavior he said, ASK THEM.....

ya it was probably my attitude?:shakehead:

Tourists bring a source of revenue to an island destination such as Cozumel (or my home Grand Cayman) but are not without expense to the local economy and environment. Infrastructure (roads, water supply and treatment, electricity generation, telecommunications, cruise ship piers, police service, ambulance and medical services, fire protections and emergency communications) is built up to handle the increased load on public systems. In exchange for the added investment in infrastructure, the local populace hopes to be able to provide employment for some portion of the local population. Tourism is not free money. Don't for a minute believe that.

The original poster got into an argument with a local resident. That can be a no-win situation. I do not doubt for a minute that the transfers which were bought and paid for should have been provided without a hassle. But I also think that if the original poster had so much as left a note at somepoint during the week then arrangements could have been made.

It is very difficult for a person to argue only with himself. It sounds to me that when things got a bit heated that Juan walked away. Smart move. No point escalating things out of hand.

And finally, if you are so concerned about what the Lomas representative might be saying to the front desk attendant, remember and use these parting words "Entiendo español, mi amigo." You might very well see a change in his face as you leave. Better yet... study enough Spanish so you really do understand.

or I could just take my tourist dollars to Hawaiii, then I dont have to listen to excuses of how rude behavior is accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom