Funky Car Smell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for some great suggestions. Hmmm. Baking soda and vinegar. Who would have thought . . .

Now I am DEFINITELY mixing them! (Just not in my car).

So what's the cure for dead mouse that's been through the AC units fan? :depressed:
Posted via Mobile Device

Just don't put the baking soda in the vinegar. You'll get an effect similar to dropping Mentos in Diet Coke. :fear:

Now I am DEFINITELY mixing them! (Just not in my car).

1.) fill a 2 liter jug partially with vinegar.

2.) put baking soda in a small plastic baggie. leave the bag open, but roll it allow it to mix slower.

3.) put baggie in bottle, cap bottle.

4.) Shake bottle hard, drop and run like hell.

Bottle will explode if done right. :thumb:

So what's the cure for dead mouse that's been through the AC units fan? :depressed:
Posted via Mobile Device

I swear that I have heard the answer to this problem on public radio from those strange guys on Car Talk. Do a search on cartalk.com. I think it involved a Volvo...

Rain on synthetic car interiors shouldn't smell much. Sounds like you have something for bacteria to feed on and need a food cleaning.
I have also left my windows opened and found that after you dry the car out use baking soda.

Just sprinkle the baking soda liberally in the car; carpets, mats, and seats (if cloth). It would be even better if you can take the seats out so you'll have lots of room to do it
Wait a day so the smells can be absorbed and vacuum it all out.
Baking soda does indeed absorb ordors, but there are better products for carpet. My bud runs a Vacuum & Sewing specialty center and stocks the best. See if your local Vacuum specialty stores can suggest a better product.

Knew a farmer who splatted a skunk once. He sprayed it with Anhydrous Ammonia fertilizer. Some are crazier than me. Knew another who had a buzzard come thru his windshield and come apart inside with partially digested carrion coating everything. He junked that one. Same guy who...
Bounced 1,000# of front weights off of a tractor into some weeds, then postponed retrieving them until after a cattle auction;

Returned with cattle to release on the same pasture, then started jacking up the gooseneck trailer, and when they took off for the open gate, he jumped into his pickup and hit the gas - forgetting to open his tailgate. Bang!

Finally got free from the trailer and again took chase, running into the 1,000# cast iron pile. Bang again!

The cattle came over to see what was going on and he walked home.​

Just for closure sake, I simply aired the car out over a series of drives, and the smell went away. Still gotta try that baking soda/vinegar thing. Thanks all.

Posted via Mobile Device
pull the blower motor/fan unit out (usually easier than it sounds, a 1/4 drive flex drive extension sometimes needed to get at close to floorboard bolts/screws) wear medical gloves and a HEPA mask, wet the area with disinfectant (mice can have the potentially fatal hantavirus) ... Preventing HPS

and have at it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom