Funky Car Smell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I left my car windows cracked the other night, without checking the weather forecase first. As fate would have it, it rained, HARD. The interior of my car was more than moist the next morning. Though I tried to clean it all up, there is now a funky odor in it. Any advice on how to get rid of the smell would be greatly appreciated.

Go on a week-long dive trip, and store the wet gear in your car every evening. By the end of the week, the current smell will be undetectable! :D

That's why I LOVE ScubaBoard!!!

The smell will dissipate only after everything in the car is dry and cleaned.

Dry it out by removing as much of the interior as possible, seats and carpets. Run fans until or wait until it is dry for a day, then have all the soft stuff cleaned and dried before putting it back in.

Most of the off-the-shelf products simply don't work well enough to kill the smell.

I left my car windows cracked the other night, without checking the weather forecase first. As fate would have it, it rained, HARD. The interior of my car was more than moist the next morning. Though I tried to clean it all up, there is now a funky odor in it. Any advice on how to get rid of the smell would be greatly appreciated.

throw in a couple bags of coffee-filter-packs. (coffee in filter bags). that should help.

leaving a cup of vinegar in it will help also. (just don't forget it and spill the cup while driving).

of course drying it out is a must. you can't get rid of it until you dry it out. leaving the doors open and running fans has done it for me when I had the issue several years ago.

I think you should park it in the sun and continue to air it out like Dave says. What kind of upholstery does the car have? If it is cloth and the stink continues, give Febreeze a try. I don't normally use that kind of thing, but it did work for me on a rental car that reeked of cigarettes.

They make a Febreeze for especially for cars....works pretty well..but I agree let it dry out first.

If part of the funk is from something growing in there, I wonder how well it would work if you were to leave the car out in the sun for a few days, with maybe only one window on each side opened just a crack. Three days at 150F should make sure most things are dry and dead.

You could also try one of the many Starbrite Dehumidier\Mildew control products. They're intended for marine use (boat bilges, etc) but they'll work anywhere there is mildew\moisture. Just Google Starbrite and you should be able to find them on their site. I would post the link myself but the forum won't let me.

I have also left my windows opened and found that after you dry the car out use baking soda.

Just sprinkle the baking soda liberally in the car; carpets, mats, and seats (if cloth). It would be even better if you can take the seats out so you'll have lots of room to do it
Wait a day so the smells can be absorbed and vacuum it all out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom